Why a top shot?

Started by stubert, January 19, 2020, 09:37:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stubert

I have a JX 6/3 filled with 4-500 yds. of 50# braid. I keep seeing references about using a mono top shot. I understand what a top shot is, I don't get why you would use it.  What is the reason to put 100 to 150 yards of mono on top of braid?

Thanks, Stu

Keta

To keep some fish from seeing the Spectra.  I prefer much shorter topshots (20') except for trolling reels that have 100' ones.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

PacRat

A top shot will also give you a little stretch.

RowdyW

Another reason is to use a lighter weight line for your leader or top shot. That way if the line gets snagged or a fish breaks the line the lighter line will break before a lot of braid is wandering the ocean.        Rudy

MarkT

Most of my jig reels have 4' of mono leader. Bait reels don't have a long topshot, none have 100+ yds.  You need some shock absorption to keep from pulling hooks so don't use a very fast rod with a short top shot/leader.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

stubert

Ron Jones

Because I like softer rods, I really prefer a short floro top shot. I often start with 10 yards or so to support retying. Bottom fishing I use straight braid.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

oc1

I use 12 ft of 20# blue Seagar on top of 20# braid, retie when it gets abrasion, and replace when it gets down to about 8 ft..  The floro almost always breaks first.  I guess because it is chafing on the snag.

Maybe that's just a leader and not really a top shot.  They should make a dictionary.

Oh, wait, there is a dictionary.  A bunch of them actually.  The first dozen or so on google did not define top shot though.

-steve

Keta

Quote from: Ron Jones on January 20, 2020, 01:06:48 AM
Because I like softer rods, I really prefer a short floro top shot. I often start with 10 yards or so to support retying. Bottom fishing I use straight braid.
The Man

Especially for halibut and bottom fish you should have a short topshot of mono that breaks at least 10 pounds less than your Spectra so you do not leave spectra in the environment.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Benni3

When I was trying to figure it out I did alot of research everywhere,,sol,,bloody decks,,,Pensacola,,,texas shark fishing,,,,,, ??? They all said different things,,,,, :) but a top shot of mono works for me for stretch,,abrasion,,,and I can replace it cheaper than braid,,,,,,,, ;D

Brewcrafter

Stu - Way oversimplified, but a top shot allows you to:

• Use mono or fluoro in front of the bait for visibility (lack thereof)
  • Build in "stretch" or shock absorbtion since Spectra is pretty much nil
From that standpoint you have two choices: short or long topshot.  I have rods set up with both but the basic determining factor has to do with the style of fishing you are doing.  If you are casting (bait, surface irons, etc) you will need to either go with a long topshot where the amount of mono on your reel is longer than your anticipated cast distance, or you go with a short topshot that is generally shorter than your rod length, but the overall goal is the same: to "not" have a "knot" scroll through your guides during a cast where it can disrupt.  I am not saying that either one is "right" or "wrong", as I said I have rods set up both ways (as a matter of fact my JX has 65# braid with a long 40# mono topshot, and with bait I will sometimes throw a short (6') flouro leader (I have dropped as low as 20# when they are really lineshy, but I won't recommend it unless you are on good terms with everyone else on board). - John

Keta

A loop to loop connection flows smoothly through your rod guides and there are knots that do the same.

Mark Twain

SoCalAngler

Quote from: stubert on January 19, 2020, 09:37:14 PM
I have a JX 6/3 filled with 4-500 yds. of 50# braid. I keep seeing references about using a mono top shot. I understand what a top shot is, I don't get why you would use it.  What is the reason to put 100 to 150 yards of mono on top of braid?

Thanks, Stu

IMO there is several reasons to run long toppers.

First and for most a JX 6/3 should never need more that 250-300 yards of line no matter of what type of fishing you do. For me I wind on 300 yards of braid and run a long topper. Why? Well spooling more braid than you will ever use is not cost effective.

Second braid floats where mono sinks. Fishing weaker less active baits will get them even weaker getting to depth unless weight is used with braided lined.

Third I fish deep into structure like kelp lines, huge pinnacles when in the the Sea of Cortez and other places there damage to your line may a cure 10-15 maybe even 20 yards above the hook no problem. So cutting out that damaged line on one trip may mean cutting out a good chunk of braid. Mono handles rock, boat, kelp abrasion way better than braided lines do.

There was a thread here recently on this site about casting braid, check it out and get your own take on it.

What ever works for you do it but just remember there is more one way to.skin a cat.

I really take offence when anyone says this or that way is the best. Especially if it comes from someone that just rides a boat and a Captain them it is time to fish. Without finding fish on your own and getting them to bite something really what have they done?

Benni3

[/quote]

I really take offence when anyone says this or that way is the best. Especially if it comes from someone that just rides a boat and a Captain them it is time to fish. Without finding fish on your own and getting them to bite something really what have they done?

[/quote]
Thanks to this trend and others,,, ;) the captain and mate love my gear and how it's set up,,,, :D but one trick I have is seaguar grand max fluorocarbon tipplet leader ,,,,,,, ;D

Cor

Quote from: oc1 on January 20, 2020, 03:18:15 AM
I use 12 ft of 20# blue Seagar on top of 20# braid, retie when it gets abrasion, and replace when it gets down to about 8 ft..  The floro almost always breaks first.  I guess because it is chafing on the snag.

Maybe that's just a leader and not really a top shot.  They should make a dictionary.

Oh, wait, there is a dictionary.  A bunch of them actually.  The first dozen or so on google did not define top shot though.

-steve
Topshot was an unknown term to me until I started to read some US fishing sites.
As SoCalAngler indicates, there is no right or wrong way to rig or setup your gear, though if you are fishing in unknown territory it is probably best to follow the locals to start of and adapt from there.    I often ask guys why they do something in a particular manner, often they don't know.    I had the privilege to have a mentor, an old guy who we said could "talk to the fish" who taught me much.   I am very sceptical and like to try things for myself, but most of what he taught me I still do, it works.

We used the term "main line" and "backing" and then also "leader"

Main line is the front section of line that is worked or used continuously, in my case maybe 120 mt and usually 50lb  mono and gets replaced fairly often as it gets damaged.   Similar to Topshot.
Backing is behind the main line, is there to fill the spool and in case you hook something large and you need to use your drag and need some extra line.
I would normally use backing that is lighter than my main line, braid is ideal for this because of the thin diameter and the length is dependant on the spool capacity.
Leader is a short section in front of the main line and could be stronger or lighter and often Fluorocarbon depending the purpose of the leader.

I currently use 80lb mono leader and its main purpose is to be abrasion resistant and to be able to pick up and hold the fish on.

For many years I fished using 50lb mono as my main line and then ended it with 8 mt 80lb JB hollow braid leader, totally opposite to what is general practice.   This worked very well for me and I never ever saw the fish react negatively to the braid.
Cornelis