Shimano TTS 30 Problem Answered

Started by 43eggharbor, January 19, 2020, 09:37:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

43eggharbor

This concerns Serial #TT30-44185
As a followup to my post "Shimano TTS 30 Puzzled", I finally got to the bottom of why the one TTS 30 had the felt spacer on only this one of my TTS 30's.
The spacer as shown in the pictures on my original post (titled "Shimano TTS 30 Puzzled") shows a felt spacer on top of the pressure plate. None of my other TTS 30's or TTS 50's have it, so after totally cleaning and reassemble without the spacer, the reel would not work. I disassembled, replaced the felt ring, reassembled and it worked fine.

Since no schematic showed this part, I decided to find out why. After disassembling again I checked every step carefully, counting every washer and even changing direction of the washers, with the same result. Made me crazy!

So, I decided to then check the thickness of every bearing, washer, spring, shaft, etc - using my digital caliper found all were the same as my other reels.
BUT THEN FOUND THIS:
Thickness of the Pressure Plate on the reel with the felt ring is 3.425mm. (Serial #TT30 44185)
Thickness of the Pressure Plates on two of my other 30's caliper at 4.475mm to 4.460mm. (Serial # TT30-16411)
By adding the felt ring to the first Pressure Plate it then calipers at 4.490mm.

The pressure plates are both Shimano factory plates, and I never would have thought there would be difference. The felt disk is perfectly cut, so it must also be Shimano factory. Well, I left the felt disk in and the reel works, and I now can once again sleep at night!
I'll fish a mud puddle if it's all I can find!

redsetta

Nice work mate.
Problems like that can be infuriating, but they're also hugely satisfying to solve.
Thanks for sharing the outcome.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer