Resurrecting an old Finessa 280

Started by Beachmaster, January 19, 2020, 10:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beachmaster

This was one of the first Quick reels that I picked up a few months ago. I believe this is a 1956 -1958 model?  Serial Number is:  137191 with Made In Germany on the foot.  Learning from Fred, this is the predecessor to the 330.  Wanted to show my tear down on this reel and then after its cleaned up, my reassembly.  Fred, if you're watching...I think I am missing one or two parts on this one.  If you look in the pictures below you can see the little black "dot" that is missing from the bail arm?

Beachmaster

There is a fiber type washer right under the spool that sits on the drive shaft.

Beachmaster

Remove the three small screws from the bottom of the spool and the spool comes apart.  Check out the cork arbor, pretty cool.  Not sure on this but it appears to me that maybe this cork arbor might have something to do with working as a drag?  The metal washer in the pic has an inside "ear" on it that engages a groove on the spool shaft.  I don't see any other drag materials in the spool...maybe that is all there is?

Beachmaster

Had a tough time punching out the handle pin.  I had to use some Rem Oil to penetrate in there to help it out.  The 3/32" seemed a tad too big so I used the 1/16" punch.  I also noticed on this handle pin that one end has a rounded head on it.  I decided to try out using my Black and Decker Workmate hobby vise that I picked up a few years ago at a thrift store for $10.  It does a pretty good job of holding the reel for me while knocking out the handle pin.  I will use it later on to separate the bearing from the worm gear.

Beachmaster

After getting the pin out and removing the handle, there is a C clip and a brass washer to remove.  Now time to break into the inside and the fun part!

Beachmaster

Remove the three screws on the handle side and don't forget the one at the bottom.  Yeap, has that good 'ol dark brown "beeswax" from the factory.  Apparently this stuff has preserved the parts in these reels for decades...wonder if the German's actually "forethought" the grease becoming a preservative instead of a lubricant at some point.

Beachmaster

Take the plate off on the non-drive side, three more screws and then another smaller screw at the bottom.  These two screws at the bottom are not quite as long as the others.

Go ahead and remove the very small screw that attaches the oscillating arm to the drive shaft.  On other models its just a pin that slides in.  But on this one it threads in; an eyeglasses flat head is perfect for this task. 

Beachmaster

Now the Main Gear and the oscillating arm will come out.  You can also slide out the Drive Shaft. The next task is to remove the oscillating arm from the Main Gear.  There is a small C clip and a tiny brass washer behind the C clip.  After removing the arm, there is another tiny brass washer behind it.  

Beachmaster

Remove the rotor nut using an extension and 1/2" socket.  I do this with my little 1/4" drive ratchet.  Under the rotor nut is a "wavy"  washer and a metal washer with double ears.  

Beachmaster

Next up is the reel cup (bottom) that needs to be removed in order to get to the bearing assembly.  The cup actually is the seal for the bearing as well.  Remove the two small screws shown plus the little grayish cone shaped screw.  Notice how "blocky" the heads are on these screws for when it comes time for reassembly.  After removing the cup you will see the bearing.

Beachmaster

Now just pull the bearing assembly out.  It will be attached to the worm gear.  I learned a little trick from Fred that if the bearing is stuck in its cup you can partially thread the rotor nut back on and use a pair of pliers to pry against the rotor nut and it will come out. 

Beachmaster

To separate the bearing from the worm gear, I go back to my handy dandy Black & Decker hobby vise and loosely clamp a couple sticks of 2x2 in with the bearing/worm assembly in the middle.  Using a soft blow hammer or Non-marring hammer begin tapping on the TOP of the worm gear while the bearing loosely rests on top of the two pieces of wood.  It will take a several blows and it will separate.  Upon reassembly, you can see that the bearing seats against a shoulder, so just tap it down until it stops moving and you know it is seated correctly.

Beachmaster

Don't forget the Anti-Reverse ratchet/spring assembly.  I used a tiny 5/32" socket to loosen the ratchet pin.  I didn't even need to use a driver, just used my fingers.  The pin will drop from the hole; don't loose the spring! 

Stay tuned for lube and reassembly soon!

foakes

Thanks for the tutorial!

Everything is in place -- the black bail cap is missing, as you mentioned -- I will send you a couple.

The cork arbor is just so that not so much mono needs to be used if not needed for conditions.

On a plastic spool -- it also helps with mono expansion when stored.

On these metal spools -- it just is a thrifty way to save line if not needed.

Few folks know the quality of these old Finessas -- probably because they are old fashioned -- and still cheap when found.

So they are not appreciated.

When one studies the engineering, strength points, materials, and function of these reels -- one is generally impressed.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

happyhooker

Nice look at that old-timer.  That was one of the nastier interior views of a spinning reel I've seen before you got at it.

Frank