Custom reel seats/grips, easy and inexpensive!

Started by The Fishing Hobby, January 24, 2020, 11:28:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Fishing Hobby

I know a lot of people don't like plate style reel seats, but I actually do!
Here is a way to make some custom grip/reel seats on the cheap that look pretty unique.

Tile

I like it a lot especially that I am a fan of plate reel seats.
In solid fiberglass we trust

The Fishing Hobby

Thanks! I like them too. The biggest complaint I read is loose fitting reels, but I've never had that problem personally. Mine all have a rubbery insert, so I press the reel foot forward with a little force and then slide the rear side up with some pressure and lock it down. Works great for me.

Swami805

I tried a couple but the reel foot was a little loose and moved when fishing   I guess you need a foot that's just the right size and not in between "clicks" of the hoods. I like the concept since you can move the reel seat since it's not really permanently attached to the blank. What am I doing wrong?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

The Fishing Hobby

I install my reels using forward pressure on the leg of the reel towards the front of the plate reel seat (the stationary part). While still applying forward pressure on the reel, I slide the adjustable side of the seat forward and apply pressure on it too and lock it down. The rubber inserts compress a little under pressure and make for a tight fit. The inserts are what make them pretty much infinitely adjustable between the maximum and minimum size range. The lock down positions are probably every 1/32" or so but the rubbery inserts ability to compress make up the in between sizes.