Accurate vs Okuma for Pacific Halibut

Started by REEL STEEL, January 20, 2020, 11:09:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

REEL STEEL

I'm sure this topic has been beat to death here and on other forums but I am looking for advice from the people that know. I want to downsize my Pacific Halibut/Ling Cod rigs. I have been using Avet LX single speed reels for years but I want to go smaller but still have reels that I don't have to worry about. The reels I'm looking at are the new Okuma CAV-5 two speed and the Accurate FX2 400. I don't need tons of line capacity, 300yds of 65# braid is plenty. The only thing is that we use up to 3# of weight for the halibut in water up to 300 feet deep. This is for a Charter boat so the reels will get a daily use.

boon

I could be miles off the mark but the Cavalla looks very very much like it's just a silver Metaloid with a slightly different handle arm? Entirely different ballpark to the Accurate.

REEL STEEL

Quote from: boon on January 21, 2020, 12:17:18 AM
I could be miles off the mark but the Cavalla looks very very much like it's just a silver Metaloid with a slightly different handle arm? Entirely different ballpark to the Accurate.
That's quite true. The difference in price reflects that. The Okuma is 25% less which factors into my decision.

Keta

I can't help on these reels but do you think you need this kind of reel for shallow halibut?  A Penn 113H or Diawa 400H type reel work well.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

akfish

From my experience, Accurates take a lot of maintenance, something to consider forachartsr reel. But mostly, I **hate** the anti-reverse bearing in Accurate reels because it must be sent to the factory for service. I haven't fished the Okumas enough to comment on them.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Ron Jones

I can see a two speed for charter work, but 300 feet isn't very deep. I watches a small Avet put a hurting on halibut and ling in 4-600 feet of water this year (how are you doing that so easy? "I just switched gears!") I'm really thinking it was overkill. The Cavalla, or even one of the graphite two speeds would be just fine. A 16VS Squall is easy to maintain, 2 speed for clients that don't want to feel Hemingway in their biceps, and cheap.

At the end of the day they are halibut, even a 100# fish isn't going to kill you.

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

boon

Quote from: Keta on January 21, 2020, 12:59:38 AM
I can't help on these reels but do you think you need this kind of reel for shallow halibut?  A Penn 113H or Diawa 400H type reel work well.

113H is 28oz  :o The Accurate is 17oz, the CAV-5II is 17.2. Much nicer to fish with.

Penn Squall 16VS is an even bigger brick at 38.5oz.

Penn Fathom FTH15LD2 should be on your radar.

REEL STEEL

Thanks for all of the great replies. I run a top end charter and like it or not a lot of my customers look for high end gear. I have had good luck with the Avets(not so much with the ShimanoTLD's). The LX is a little heavy and as the qualitiy has gone up in reels the size has gone down. Look at what people are using on Long Range for tuna. I want to go lighter and these reels seem to fit the bill. I have some concerns about the Accurate anti-reverse since we will be hanging a 3# lead on the line. I have yet to own an Okuma but their quality is not what it was when they first came out.

Ron Jones

Never really considered weight while halibut fishing, it's not like you are throwing iron. If you need to spend the money I agree with boon, look at the Fathom two speeds.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

When using 24-64 ounce leads to get to and stay on the bottom reel weight isn't all that important to me.  The Fathom 15 doesn't really have the line capacity at around 275 yards of 60# Spectra to keep close to the bottom if there is any wind or current, at 45 degrees in 300' of water you will have at least 450' of line out to keep close to the bottom and your spool will be a bit less than 1/2 full.  

Here are a few other reels to think about, I would consider the 25N size reels to be minimum.  We usually fish halibut deeper, 200'-700' and when not using one of my 349H reels I use Avet HXJ and HX reels and a Penn Torque TRQ40NLD2.  A Fathom or Torque 25N might work, the 30 better but I would go with the heavier 40N.

Single speed Fathom,
FTH25NLD (19.4oz)
FTH30LD (19.8oz)
FTH40NLD (24.7oz)

Two speed Fathom,
FTH25NLD2 (19.6oz)
FTH30LD2 (20oz)  
FTH40NLD2 (25.7oz)

High end two speed Torque,
TRQ25NLD2 (21.1oz)
TRQ30LD2 (21.5oz)
TRQ40NLD2 (27.4oz)

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

A certain airline pilot friend of ours let me use his FTHLD40NLD2 for a bit, very nice.
The Man
Ronald Jones
"

jurelometer

I would avoid any reel with a one-way bearing (even with a dog backup), especially for a charter situation.  Standard one way bearings should not be lubricated in order to function properly.   But these one-way bearings are made from 440c stainless (same material as typical saltwater reel ball bearings).  440c is fine for freshwater, but will corrode in saltwater unless covered with a protective coating  (like grease).

While most reels will not be damaged with a freshwater dunking for daily maintenance, some vendors discourage this.   Avet recommends dunking.  So this is nice.   Leave the reels on the rod, dunk in a deep bucket or trashcan filled with freshwater at the end of the day.  maybe an occasional rubdown of the exterior with an anti-corrosion product to keep the anodizing pretty.  Easy-peasy.

If you are happy with Avets, maybe consider a fancier two speed model for an upgrade to impress the customers.

Finally, a pre-service for the reels while new is a great idea.  Afterwards, once a season annual maintenance.  Even though Avet recommends against greasing the drags,  this is something that you may want to consider in order to minimize corrosion and keep the drag smooth throughout the season.

-J

REEL STEEL

Quote from: jurelometer on January 22, 2020, 10:52:17 PM
I would avoid any reel with a one-way bearing (even with a dog backup), especially for a charter situation.  Standard one way bearings should not be lubricated in order to function properly.   But these one-way bearings are made from 440c stainless (same material as typical saltwater reel ball bearings).  440c is fine for freshwater, but will corrode in saltwater unless covered with a protective coating  (like grease).

While most reels will not be damaged with a freshwater dunking for daily maintenance, some vendors discourage this.   Avet recommends dunking.  So this is nice.   Leave the reels on the rod, dunk in a deep bucket or trashcan filled with freshwater at the end of the day.  maybe an occasional rubdown of the exterior with an anti-corrosion product to keep the anodizing pretty.  Easy-peasy.

If you are happy with Avets, maybe consider a fancier two speed model for an upgrade to impress the customers.

Finally, a pre-service for the reels while new is a great idea.  Afterwards, once a season annual maintenance.  Even though Avet recommends against greasing the drags,  this is something that you may want to consider in order to minimize corrosion and keep the drag smooth throughout the season.

-J

Thank you. That is great info. I think that Accurate uses anti reverse bearings. The Avets have served me well but their customer service has been a little lacking so I wanted to try something new. At the recent Outdoor show in Sacramento at the Shimano booth I was spinning one of their new reels and the anti-reverse wasn't working. That's not a good way to sell reels.

Keta

If you clean and put a drop or two of lite oil on the AR bearings a few times a season the AR bearings will hold up.   The cattle boat reels I service are never maintained and usually in bad shape when I get them. 

Mark Twain