155's

Started by milne, January 22, 2020, 07:10:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

milne

The 155 reel, first came out in 39, from my reconing, it states in the book, that they are named " light tackle casting reel".
I believe I have a first year 39 model, it is stamped with the yardage on the reel seat...
In 1941, it states a name change " "light tackle surf reel"

My question is, what was on the box of the 39&40, all of mine, have "Light casting" I have a $7.00 light casting box, which would make it 41-46, and an $ 8.00 version in the sloped label as well, which would be 46-49.
So it's the 39 & 40 boxes that I'm querying......

Cheers

Col

mo65

Hi Col,
   Not sure if you have Mike's green book...that's where this pic comes from...figured I'd post it for you just in case. Looks like this 1940 box also has "light casting" on it.(the 156 was a dollar less than a 155) That would make your $7 light casting box correct. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

milne

Hi Mo,
         Yes, I saw that photo in Mikes book too.
I guess I was trying to date this 155 reel and box, that was my main aim.
In the book, it say's that there was a name change for the 155, as mentioned above, I know this isn't a first year 39, as it has no yardage on the reel seat, so my next step was just to work out, what the "name changes"  were, or, more to the point, did the writing on the box change.
My other 40's boxed 155 has light casting and a LH 50's has light casting as well.
But in seeing that photo in mikes book of the 1940 156 with light casting, it had a name change in 41 as well from memory,,, I was just presuming that the writing on the box had to change some way, if there was a name change ?, or perhaps they always had light casting on them from the start....
Or I probably have it all wrong    LOL
when I get a chance I'll put up a photo of my boxed 155"s, Dunno what it is about them, especially boxed, but I have another one of those soft spots !!!.

Col
P.S,  NO, the green book is the only one I don't have... (yet)   

milne

Here are my 155's so far,  the unboxed one is a first year, well patina'd, has yardage stamped on reel seat.
As per the original question, what did a 39 box look like...
I kinda have a soft spot for these 155's    ;D

Col

FLNJBUM

20200306_151649.jpg
I got this 155 from an old navy vet. He bought it in 65, and it rode around the pacific and then hung in multiple garages until he gifted it to me.
I can explain it to you,  but i cant understand it for you

Deepennz

Hi Col,
The original #155 reel sold for $7.00 - this price was printed in the b/left corner as per your $8.00, late '40's Box.
Otherwise there is no reel difference!!
Martin

Bill B

Quote from: FLNJBUM on August 15, 2022, 09:18:44 PM20200306_151649.jpg
I got this 155 from an old navy vet. He bought it in 65, and it rode around the pacific and then hung in multiple garages until he gifted it to me.

That reel looks pristine!  Bill
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

FLNJBUM

It is. The internals look brand new. I got lucky on this one.
I can explain it to you,  but i cant understand it for you