Ceramic drag question

Started by Lunker Larry, January 22, 2020, 05:24:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lunker Larry

Servicing a quantum reel with a thick ceramic and what looks like a teflon drag washer. Owner complaint is the drag is not smooth and he's right.
Can you grease or oil ceramic or just clean them both?
Your time is appreciated.
LL
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

alantani

i've fiddled with them before.  adding teflon grease made the "suction" worse.  i gave up on them. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

mo65

I know what Alan means by the term "suction"...I think it happens when you have totally smooth friction washers and polished super smooth metals. It allows the surfaces to suck together fast. This might feel like big power when banging gears in a car, but when your reel's clutch does this it translates to a lost fish. This is why I think lightly sanded (600 grit) metals work better than finely polished. The light scratches keep the surfaces from sealing together...that's the dreaded start up and chatter we all hate.
   If those metal drags are really shiny smooth, I'd try roughing them a bit. Sounds like you have nothing to lose. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Lunker Larry

Thanks. I was thinking of trying to slip a thin CF in there if there is room.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.

mo65

Quote from: Lunker Larry on January 22, 2020, 09:38:06 PM
Thanks. I was thinking of trying to slip a thin CF in there if there is room.

Yes...if there is room try it. Carbon fiber washers are great at stopping start up and chattering...and I believe it's because of what I mentioned above. They can't suck onto those polished metals.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Lunker Larry

Well, tried a bunch of things that got it smoother but had less drag. Put it back to original but greased the gear side of the non ceramic washer and it smoothed things out. No idea how long it will stay that way.