alan tani @ alantani.com fishing reel repair rebuild tutorial Trouble with Shimano TR2000 Charter Special service
Reel Repair by Alan Tani
May 27, 2020, 03:35:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trouble with Shimano TR2000 Charter Special service  (Read 245 times)
strikecharters

« on: January 22, 2020, 12:22:26 PM »

Can't figure this one out. Servicing the Charter Special of which I own 10. Replacing the drag washer with Carbontex. All went well until checkout. When ramping up the drag lever the handle crank becomes increasingly difficult to turn as well, very stiff to turn at full drag. Have taken it apart/reassembled several times with same results. Stumped and looking for help...thanks in advance
alantani
admin
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 12:50:42 PM »

likely the star is rubbing up against the side plate.  an extra washer should do the trick.  also, make sure the bellevilles are "()()" and not "(()), ((() or ((((."

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!
strikecharters

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 01:02:18 PM »

Thanks Alan...just to make clear this is lever drag not star...only 2 Bellevilles and made sure they were ()
alantani
admin
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 01:11:56 PM »

crud, yes a charter special.  with what you describe, it is almost always a bad right main side plate bearing. 

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!
akfish

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 07:20:19 AM »

Almost certain to be the right side plate bearing -- the pinion bearing. I replace this on probably 80% of the Charter Specials I service. Occasionally, a bad left side spool bearing will cause the same problems. Note that it's not always obvious if these bearings are bad; you need to press them tightly between your fingers and turn them too see if there's any gritty feeling.

Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska
strikecharters

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2020, 10:10:42 AM »

Thanks for Intel guys...new bearings on order
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: