Trouble with Shimano TR2000 Charter Special service

Started by strikecharters, January 22, 2020, 08:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strikecharters

Can't figure this one out. Servicing the Charter Special of which I own 10. Replacing the drag washer with Carbontex. All went well until checkout. When ramping up the drag lever the handle crank becomes increasingly difficult to turn as well, very stiff to turn at full drag. Have taken it apart/reassembled several times with same results. Stumped and looking for help...thanks in advance

alantani

likely the star is rubbing up against the side plate.  an extra washer should do the trick.  also, make sure the bellevilles are "()()" and not "(()), ((() or ((((."
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

strikecharters

Thanks Alan...just to make clear this is lever drag not star...only 2 Bellevilles and made sure they were ()

alantani

crud, yes a charter special.  with what you describe, it is almost always a bad right main side plate bearing. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

akfish

Almost certain to be the right side plate bearing -- the pinion bearing. I replace this on probably 80% of the Charter Specials I service. Occasionally, a bad left side spool bearing will cause the same problems. Note that it's not always obvious if these bearings are bad; you need to press them tightly between your fingers and turn them too see if there's any gritty feeling.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

strikecharters