Mitchell 300 Shims

Started by jgp12000, January 24, 2020, 12:11:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgp12000

Does anyone know the ID/OD of these shims,if they can be had at a RC hobby or hardware store? I  have 2 version 6 Garcia Mitchell 300s presently and love to fish with them.I plan on handing them down to my 2 grandsons one day.I was born in 1963 and have several modern reels but, the nostalgia of fishing with reels from the 60s in my pond is my happy place... I think I need to get one more for my grand daughter.You can never have too many reels right?
Thank you,

81012(Baffle)-
81024(Housing)-
81035(Drive Gear)-
81047(Pinion Gear)-

Midway Tommy

I've never been able to find shims that thin anywhere except eBay, or possibly Fred. Maybe McMaster-Carr but they don't have pre-cut bronze shims and you would need to measure ID, OD & thickness if you want to substitute brass or copper.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

foakes

I dropped off a few dozen shims and washers in 5 different sizes, along with a Penn wrench -- at the PO today, James --

You might receive them Monday or Tuesday from California to Georgia.

McMaster-Carr may have these shims -- but it is doubtful -- but I do not know -- they are unusually thin.

I know of no other After-Market sources -- eBay has them available sometimes.

Any time they are available on ebay -- grab them -- they are both indispensable and soon to become extinct.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

mo65

I just checked eBay...I saw lots of Mitchell shims on there. They were kind of pricey but there were decent size bags available.
   I was born in '65, so I know what you mean about fishing with gear the same age, it's a blast. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

jgp12000

I just got another version 6 on ebay 58' model,it's not as pretty as my other ones but, as long as it works.I wonder if anyone had ever had one powder coated? I wouldn't want to demise the history of the reel but, I don't plan on getting rid of these reels.Thanks again Mr.Oakes, the shims you sent should have mine running smooth soon!

Fullbail

jgp12000,

This was from an old post (2012) by someone at the Mitchell Reel Museum.  It sure sounded like he knew what he was talking about. ;D

SHIM MEASUREMENTS

DIAL CALIPER:
ETALON MODEL 125 (75-115811) SERIAL NUMBER: 4T 02294 01
CALIBRATED IN SUMMER 2011 (WITH DOCUMENTATION)
Graduation (Decimal Inch): 0.0010
Sub Graduation Dots (Decimal Inch): 0.0005

SUPPLY (ORDERED FROM THE REEL DOCTOR, EDMONTON, AB)
4 EACH OF:
81012: Shim (Baffle Plate to Head)
81047: Shim (Pinion Gear)
81035: Shim (Drive Gear)
81024: Shim (Head to Housing)

METHOD:
Measured each shim 8 times at pie intervals for all measurements, twice
ID & OD's were all extremely close to same (within 0.0005, average)
Differences for Thicknesses are shown

RESULTS:

81012: Shim (Baffle Plate to Head) 300-301, 300A-301A
ID = 0.315 (8mm)
OD = 0.551 (14mm)
Thick = 0.004, 0.004 (0.1mm), 0.006 (0.15mm), 0.008 (0.2mm)

81047: Shim (Pinion Gear) 300-301, 300A-301A
ID = 0.1675 (4.25mm)
OD = 0.259 (6.579mm)
Thick = 0.005 (0.127mm)

81035: Shim (Drive Gear) 300-301
ID = 0.259 (6.579mm)
OD = 0.394 (10mm)
Thick = 0.004, 0.004 (0.1mm), 0.008, 0.008 (0.2mm)

81024: Shim (Head to Housing) 300-301
ID = 0.319 (8.103mm)
OD = 0.3925 (9.97mm)
Thick = 0.004 (0.1mm), 0.005, 0.005, 0.005 (0.127mm)

Kind Regards,
Bill  :)

Robert Janssen

Quote...someone at the Mitchell Reel Museum.  It sure sounded like he knew what he was talking about. 

His name is Reid. If one is to repost the information someone went to the trouble of writing, it is only right to extend credit to him.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Robert Janssen on February 09, 2020, 08:15:54 AM
Quote...someone at the Mitchell Reel Museum.  It sure sounded like he knew what he was talking about. 

His name is Reid. If one is to repost the information someone went to the trouble of writing, it is only right to extend credit to him.

I agree, Robert! It seems, though, that with such easy access to information via the interwebby, acknowledgements are more often ignored rather than given.  :(

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

oc1

Yeah, but so much of the internet info is unsigned or anonymous except for some silly user name.  If you want to be credited for your work then you need to forfeit some privacy.
-steve

swill88

Quote from: oc1 on February 09, 2020, 08:15:14 PM
Yeah, but so much of the internet info is unsigned or anonymous except for some silly user name.  If you want to be credited for your work then you need to forfeit some privacy.
-steve

Privacy?  Let me check that on Facebook and get back to you ;D

steve

oc1

Quote from: swill88 on February 09, 2020, 10:08:17 PM
Privacy?  Let me check that on Facebook and get back to you ;D

steve

I try to conform steve, honestly I do.  But sometimes the whole privacy thing just creeps me out.  Maybe if it get it all off my chest I'll be more comfortable.

-steve Hawkins
49-065 Kamehameha Hwy
Kaneohe, HI
808-239-9963
my bank PIN number is 6003
There's a safe behind the painting in the library.  right 23, left 67, right 12

Midway Tommy

Quote from: oc1 on February 10, 2020, 06:46:06 AM
Quote from: swill88 on February 09, 2020, 10:08:17 PM
Privacy?  Let me check that on Facebook and get back to you ;D

steve

I try to conform steve, honestly I do.  But sometimes the whole privacy thing just creeps me out.  Maybe if it get it all off my chest I'll be more comfortable.

-steve Hawkins
49-065 Kamehameha Hwy
Kaneohe, HI
808-239-9963
my bank PIN number is 6003
There's a safe behind the painting in the library.  right 23, left 67, right 12

No FB, no Twitter, no Linkedin, no YouTube, etc. helps  ;), but.....easy access to, and publication of, state & local government records sure don't help!  >:( At least when I get Googled they usually just find Blink 182 connections, signature guitars references and weird publicity photos.  :o :D Now, back to shims.  ;D

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

MrMikeShop

New to the group.  This topic on the Mitchell 300 shims caught my attention because I too have a 6th version (1960 to be exact) that I use and plan to leave to son and grandson.  The shims have been in place for as long as I can remember and I measured them with a digital Vernier Caliper.  My measurements where similar to list that Fullbail posted. 
The problem is to find the other sizes for matching up the slack that has developed over the years with replacements or adding more.  Those on eBay are nondescript or misplaced sizes, or just way to many of the same size and no assortment.  I have given up on that route. Any help would be appreciated to bring my 60+ reel up to par.

foakes

Welcome aboard —

Let us know what sizes you need.

Pics and measurements would be a quick way.

Glad to provide some,

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

foakes

This should sort that Mitchell 300 out for you, Mic —

If you are in the States $5 — if out of country $10.

This will include shipping.

Let me know.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.