The Compac Daytona II, an Omori import

Started by festus, January 25, 2020, 02:46:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

Other than color, drag assembly, and a couple differences in a spring and a couple screws, this reel is practically the same as the Shakespeare 2210 I posted a few days ago. However, these pics are much clearer due to the lighter color of the Compac in contrast to the very dark green Shakespeare.  

For a more detailed step-by-step, visit the other thread. https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=30254.0

This reel was cheap on Ebay because it had a partially broken foot.  I took my chances thinking if it isn't fishable, at least there are some good parts left.  I got lucky, someone had filed and "whittled" the foot and left enough that's it's able to fasten good enough to a Berkley rod.

I doubt if this reel was used very much.  It definitely hadn't been abused, and most likely the broken foot was an accident.  It wasn't very dirty inside, but needed a lube change.

The screw to the bail kick lever was loose, and I figured it would be a good idea to take it apart and clean.

A close-up look at the pinion and bearing.

Drag assembly.

Reassembling the bail trip assembly.

Reassembling the bail components.

Ball bearing, pinion, and pinion cover back in place.

Rotor reattached.

I like these 3 piece handles.  Fastening this threaded piece to the drive gear keeps the assembly intact without worry of it falling apart.

Lubing the tracks the oscillating slider rides on.

All innards are now assembled.

Fastening handle side cover.

One more look before sewing her up.

Even though there isn't much left on the rear of the foot to operate, enough remained, it fastened down good enough on the reel seat.  This is a 7' medium action Berkley Cherrywood rod.  This reel had some braid from a previous owner that looks ok.  I tied on a 3/8 oz dipsey sinker and cast it a few times in the front yard.  Also pulled out probably 75 yds of the braided line to check it and didn't see any weak spots.

These Japanese Omori-made reels are built so simple with a minimum of parts and are ideal for a novice into reel repair.  And they're surprisingly smooth, takes no effort to turn the handle.  I wouldn't be afraid to fish these in saltwater either.  They can be taken completely apart in a few minutes, cleaned, re-lubed, and reassembled.  This one is what I would consider a medium size freshwater reel, weighs 10.45 oz. with line.  I wouldn't go chasing big cats or stripers, but it'll do well for panfish and freshwater bass fishing.  They can be found on Ebay for 10 bucks or less if you're patient.

jon_elc

excellent post!!  great step-by-step pics, too.

Alto Mare

Very nice Chester! The design reminds me of the Penn 720 & 722, but had a better crosswind black.
Keep up your great work!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.