Quick 220 drag stack questions...

Started by Beachmaster, January 25, 2020, 10:19:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Here is a schematic --    

Check out what you are missing -- and let me know.  I should have all the parts you need.

No worries -- don't stress over it -- it is just a used reel that you are restoring.  And I have you covered on parts.

The white nylon washer looks like the one that goes between the thumb nut and the crank handle to collapse the handle -- but I could be wrong.

These are sometimes white nylon -- and sometimes a metal wavy washer.

Add to your list -- and let me know.  I can help when we return.

I will be Oscar Tango (out of town) for a week.

We are heading over to the Valley of Fire in Nevada for a week of exploring the ancient Native American Ruins there -- along with 5 days of hiking.  Long day over, a day back, and hiking in between.

Will take a few photos, if anyone is interested.

Then, as soon as we return -- I have another job out of town to complete, document, and get ready for sale -- the storage parts inventory of an old tackle shop that closed over 20 years ago.

Then I need to head a little North of Denver, to pick up a travel trailer we just purchased.

In between there are around 5 or 6 other things on the family calendar -- to keep it interesting.

But I should have a little time next week to pull a few parts, if needed.  No problem.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Beachmaster

Ok thanks Fred!  I wish I could trade with you and do your "adventures", come teach for me and swap for a bit!  The old tackle shop is very interesting, how do you stumble on these?!

El Pescador

Fred!

YES, put me down for "AM Interested" in your upcoming trip to the Valley of the Fire in NV.

Never heard of the location until this am.

I love visiting new places - either in person or as a tag along.

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

handyandy

thanks for the pics of the old schematic Fred. I too would like to see some pics. I was out in Vegas for SEMA this past November. We wanted to go up to Valley of Fire, but didn't have the time to. When I had a spare day it was either that or Hoover Dam we opted for Hoover Dam.

Gobi King

That sounds like fun Fred,
If you are north of Denver, and you like some country style BBQ, Rudy's has a store near Garden City,

Handy, I have the same reel, I will post a pic of my stack (drag), my drag washers were oiled too when I got them, my bail thing is bent.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Beachmaster

Quote from: Gobi King on January 28, 2020, 03:16:58 PM
That sounds like fun Fred,
If you are north of Denver, and you like some country style BBQ, Rudy's has a store near Garden City,

Handy, I have the same reel, I will post a pic of my stack (drag), my drag washers were oiled too when I got them, my bail thing is bent.
Yes please post a pic of your drag stack.

mo65

I was noticing your spool doesn't use the eared metal washers like my spool...which is the schematic Fred posted. Here's the drag stack from a different schematic enlarged a bit...hope it helps. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Beachmaster

Quote from: mo65 on January 29, 2020, 03:18:08 PM
  I was noticing your spool doesn't use the eared metal washers like my spool...which is the schematic Fred posted. Here's the drag stack from a different schematic enlarged a bit...hope it helps. 8)

Yes, that is what my drag stack looks like sans the part # 100 058.  I have no idea what that spring is and its not in my spool.  I have:  wavy washer, keyed metal washer, resistex drag washer, resistex drag washer and that's it.  

I also think I have come to the conclusion that my ratchet under the bottom of the spool does not work.  When I put all of the drags in and tighten down the drag, there is absolutely NO resistance whatsoever, the spool just turns freely in both directions easily.

oldmanjoe

Your spool needs the stack that Fred posted , and you are missing parts .   That is why it is free wheeling .
    That spool does not have the 2 groves for ear washer .
  I do not know if this will help  or get you into trouble .     https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=24932.0
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Beachmaster

Quote from: oldmanjoe on January 30, 2020, 12:56:53 AM
    Your spool needs the stack that Fred posted , and you are missing parts .   That is why it is free wheeling .
    That spool does not have the 2 groves for ear washer .
  I do not know if this will help  or get you into trouble .     https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=24932.0
But my spool does not have that "star washer" configuration.  The star washer will not fit in my spool at all.

mo65

Quote from: Beachmaster on January 30, 2020, 02:37:37 AM
My spool does not have that "star washer" configuration.  The star washer will not fit in my spool at all.

You are correct...forget about that "star washer" configuration. I looked hard at that schematic I posted...and to the best of my eyesight that is a coil spring you're missing. Since it looks pretty tall, that would explain why you have no drag power. It's not uncommon to see these coil springs in drag stacks...I have many reels that use them. They actually produce a nice range of action. If you can't find a coil spring that fits...just fill in the gap with regular drag springs/wave washers at the bottom in an alternating pattern like this: ()() You may only need two or three. 8)

Beachmaster

Quote from: mo65 on January 30, 2020, 01:18:57 PM
Quote from: Beachmaster on January 30, 2020, 02:37:37 AM
My spool does not have that "star washer" configuration.  The star washer will not fit in my spool at all.

You are correct...forget about that "star washer" configuration. I looked hard at that schematic I posted...and to the best of my eyesight that is a coil spring you're missing. Since it looks pretty tall, that would explain why you have no drag power. It's not uncommon to see these coil springs in drag stacks...I have many reels that use them. They actually produce a nice range of action. If you can't find a coil spring that fits...just fill in the gap with regular drag springs/wave washers at the bottom in an alternating pattern like this: ()() You may only need two or three. 8)
Ok will do Mo.  I will "borrow" a few from my 330 and test it and see what happens.  It'll be friday evening before I get a chance to mess with it again.
One other question...is it necessary to have the brass retaining ring or any retaining ring seated at the top in order to keep the drags from falling out?  As long as you know there is not one there and when you are careful taking the spool cap off?  I am thinking that as long as you don't go above flush with the drag hole on then that's ok?

mo65

Quote from: Beachmaster on January 30, 2020, 02:36:28 PM
One other question...is it necessary to have the brass retaining ring or any retaining ring seated at the top in order to keep the drags from falling out?  As long as you know there is not one there and when you are careful taking the spool cap off?  I am thinking that as long as you don't go above flush with the drag hole on then that's ok?

Yes...as long as you're careful when unscrewing the drag knob you could skip the retaining ring. I'd just leave it out while you're experimenting to find the correct stack height, then add it back when finished. I think you'll be fine now...but if it still gives you trouble...Fred will be back next week. We'll get you going one way or another. 8)

Beachmaster

I just don't get it. I'm beginning to wonder if this is even the correct spool for this reel. I forgot to mention that it does make a dragging sound too when cranking the handle. I can't find anywhere on the spool where it might be rubbing.  Here are pics of the bottom of the spool and the cap removed with the drag stack full and nut tightened all way down. I can simply just turn the nut with the very easy pressure and the whole spool just turns smooth and very yeast no matter how tight or loose the spool cap is.  Do you see anything out of place in these pics? Wrong spool or what?!
I have a video if anyone is interested.