The fine line between a defective part and a new part.

Started by festus, January 26, 2020, 12:27:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

Got the anti-reverse going in this 550N.

The original anti-reverse dog was worn, very obvious to the eye.  So I replaced the original dog with the used dog in the pic that was fully functioning when I junked out a 220N that had a broken reel foot. However, the used dog had no visible defects or worn spots, but it wouldn't work anyway.  The dog and spring marked as new were ordered as new old stock from Ebay

This demonstrates the tight tolerances in a D-A-M Quick spinner. 

The pic I posted above is showing up too small for comparison so I'll attach a bigger one.

Can you really notice the wear in the used a/r dog?  It's barely noticable.

mo65

I can see the wear...but it sure don't look like enough to render the dog inoperable. Nice 550N buddy!
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

oldmanjoe

I would try a file and make it flat again just to see if would work again .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

TJAndrews

I'm not so sure just making it flat would do the trick. It's hard to really tell from a photo, but it looks to me like the corners near the end away from the spring are rounded off a bit more than those on the new part.

From the position of the spring relative to the pivot point, I'd say it's likely that one of those corners is the one that engages the anti-reverse ratchet. If that is rounded off too much, it would slip by.

I've seen that happen with farm equipment, especially old jacks.

Midway Tommy

I agree with Joe. I've filed and adjusted many dogs & other parts that were in way worse condition than that. Once the corners are squared off it may take a little more filing to correct the throw but there's a lot of meat left on that dog bone for adjustment.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

TJAndrews

Quote from: TJAndrews on February 13, 2020, 12:25:07 PM
I'm not so sure just making it flat would do the trick. It's hard to really tell from a photo, but it looks to me like the corners near the end away from the spring are rounded off a bit more than those on the new part.

From the position of the spring relative to the pivot point, I'd say it's likely that one of those corners is the one that engages the anti-reverse ratchet. If that is rounded off too much, it would slip by.

My first post was from my laptop. I took a closer look at the enlarged photo on a larger monitor, and have changed my mind. The worn spot is a strip along the end away from the spring, not the corners. Flattening it, squaring up that edge, would do the trick.

philaroman

Quote from: TJAndrews on February 13, 2020, 07:59:57 PM
Quote from: TJAndrews on February 13, 2020, 12:25:07 PM

My first post was from my laptop. I took a closer look at the enlarged photo on a larger monitor, and have changed my mind. The worn spot is a strip along the end away from the spring, not the corners. Flattening it, squaring up that edge, would do the trick.

if you do enough "shaving", you may have to move the pivot point back (relative to the NEW contact point/edge)

feasible, but MUCH more work at MUCH higher precision

it's not a real dog -- just put it down & ask Fred for a new puppy from his DAM dogpound