Squidder & Surfmaster SS DD Bridge ETC

Started by ReelPatina, January 28, 2020, 05:39:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReelPatina

There have been several ppl home building double dogged bridges for our smaller reels and some of our actual part guys even teasing with complete SS full internal assemblies for the bigger reels.

Can someone please make this happen for the Squidders and Surfmasters. I have 146s and 100s as do others that are waiting for someone to take our money to replace their innards with a complete new ss package. We are bedazzling the outside, a lot of us would like to drop in a ss dogged inside as well.

Alto Mare

Quote from: ReelPatina on January 28, 2020, 05:39:49 AM
There have been several ppl home building double dogged bridges for our smaller reels and some of our actual part guys even teasing with complete SS full internal assemblies for the bigger reels.

Can someone please make this happen for the Squidders and Surfmasters. I have 146s and 100s as do others that are waiting for someone to take our money to replace their innards with a complete new ss package. We are bedazzling the outside, a lot of us would like to drop in a ss dogged inside as well.
You are correct!
There are many kits being made for these, especially for the Squidder and the inner parts get neglected.
They are fine as they are, but wouldn't mind the ss inner parts myself.
Maybe a tiny more speed on them would be great for jigging well, as 4:1ratio...who knows.

I asked about this 5-6 years ago and I just reminded them ... well see what they have to say, but there has to be lots of demand and I didn't see it in the past.

Best,

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Yogi_fish808

I think the lack of demand for stainless internals and faster gearing is due to 200 series newells still being widely available at fairly reasonable prices. They have a stainless bridge/internals, larger 5:1 gears, larger drags, etc. I know for the squidder afficianados it's not a substitute but a nice 220,229 or 235 is a good alternative option.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Yogi_fish808 on January 28, 2020, 09:28:55 AM
I think the lack of demand for stainless internals and faster gearing is due to 200 series newells still being widely available at fairly reasonable prices. They have a stainless bridge/internals, larger 5:1 gears, larger drags, etc. I know for the squidder afficianados it's not a substitute but a nice 220,229 or 235 is a good alternative option.
I hear you Yogi, but having the option of so many of Tom's kits, I would definitely go that way instead of the Newell.
Not knocking The Newells, l like those as well, personally I prefer Tom's kits over those,

Tom,  I have 5 colors in those. How about some in purple- black -gold - pink and I believe it is called teal, the last you made fit the 9/0 frames. By the way, that pink you made earlier looks amazing with silver.

Your full kits for the squidders and  Jigmasters are the bomb👍.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

ReelPatina

The original innards obviously work all of our fathers, grandfathers, and ourselves have used them for years and years. However, I find it amusing that we have the options of Tom's beautiful Cortez bodies, Pro Challenger this and that, etc., but in the end we are installing the parts out of our 40 year old reels as the brains of the whole thing. Someone make 30 and see the interest.

Alto Mare

Quote from: ReelPatina on January 28, 2020, 02:32:55 PM
Someone make 30 and see the interest.
Not speaking for ProChallenger, but I've been tasting his parts from the get go and happen to know no one will even touch a 30 piece order on a new design,
It will cost him a few thousands just to get the mold, more if he's getting them machined.
Afterwards there is a limit on what you will order. They might start at 250 or 500 . Mold and order would
Need to be paid in full prior to productions.
If he requests just one sample I believe it is $500.

Also, an approval list needs to be signed beforehand and if anything doesn't work as anticipated after checking, ProChallenger would eat the expenses.

Members see the easy side here, there is a lot that goes on behind the scene.

I'm sure other machinists that make us parts here have the same.

Sal

ReelPatina

I spoke with Alan this afternoon, great guy! I'm excited for the future. A lot of great minds working on this board and others. I for one would happily participate in a kick starter type endeavor for an end result.

Alto Mare

Quote from: ReelPatina on January 29, 2020, 02:15:11 AM
I spoke with Alan this afternoon, great guy! I'm excited for the future. A lot of great minds working on this board and others. I for one would happily participate in a kick starter type endeavor for an end result.
That is nice of you, usually that's how things get done around here... team work.

It would still be up to the guys that dish out the cash flow.

Ever since I'm being involved a little with these projects, I've learned a small chunk about dealing with the business side of it.
I've been self employed as a G C for many years and somehow it relates.

Not all works as expected, some of the custom parts sit on the shelf and some he can't keep in stock.

Running a business you need to figure out the complete operation and not just what does good or bad.

What I'm trying to say, after seeing how these guys operate with their custom parts, I'm glad they're still doing it for us.

They do cover the costs, but don't get rich... as me, but I had a pretty good life Io to now.

Sal

ReelPatina

I see the conversations been had at different points in 2013 , 16, let's have the 2020. It's brought forth the SS gear sleeve from several guys, which was a big help. Trickles are better than nothing and happily accepted. 

Petah

I've done a few double dog bridges with s.s. dogs and posts for squidders and reels that take the 98-155.
It's really tight but doable. I haven't had any issues yet, only fished them a handful of times though. Combined with the 9 tooth ratchet gear sleeves from Tom and Alan and it's almost infinite reverse with the handle back play.
The reel is a widened 180!!!!

Peter