Garcia Mitchell 400 AR dog?

Started by Christopher M Songer, January 28, 2020, 03:38:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher M Songer

Garcia Mitchell 400 (1969) AR dog will not stay engaged in AR mode when the side cover is screwed back on. It seems to hold and work properly until I put it together. The spring is ok. Looking for a new AR dog #81-087 if anyone has it, but I am not sure that will fix the problem. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks
Always go forward, never go straight

foakes

The dog should be fine, Chris --

The spring just needs to go over the backside of the A/R Cam to provide tension.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Christopher M Songer

Wow, you should have seen where it was when I got it! lol

Christopher M Songer

Got excited too soon. Still jumping off the teeth. Got the spring back, It seems to lift up off the side plate over the edge of the gears a little. Still can not get the AR to lock up consistently. Is the tooth of the AR too straight to catch the teeth? I do not want to bend it.

foakes

Yeah, if it is not too worn, Chris -- it can be bent back more straight with just a small pair of needle-nose pliers.

If you break it, or if too far worn -- I can send you another one.

Won't be for a week or two though -- and I might need a reminder.

Will be gone late this afternoon for a week.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

It appears to me that you just need a little fine tuning. If you enlarge your's and Fred's pics your spring isn't rolling your pivot block back against the stop bar. That should be an easy fix by bending the spring arm or adjusting the spring coils so that it is positioned correctly in the dog so that the spring arm is positioned where it needs to be.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Christopher M Songer

Thanks for all the help. I finally bent the AR dog tip a scooch. Every time I engage the AR it holds and does not skip. I will try this a few more times today and again tomorrow and call it good if it does not fail!

Tight lines!