Reel Repair Business ??

Started by xaf, January 28, 2020, 11:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xaf

First let me say that I am in no way thinking about starting a reel repair business.  It's all I can do to repair my own reels but I am curious about a few things after reading several threads about reel repair.

1.  Do most individuals that repair reels as a business do it full time or as a part time side job?
2.  Can a person actually make a living strictly by repairing reels?   
3.  How do most people charge for repairs, by time spent working on a reel or X amount per reel?
4.  In general, how much do people charge to repair a reel? 
5.  Are people willing to pay what it costs in time and effort to make it worthwhile?
6.  How many reels per day do you need to do to make it worth while to do it as a business?

As I said I am just curious because it seems to me it would be very difficult to make a go of it as a business for a number of reasons. (1) There are so many different makes and models today compared to years ago.  (2)  Time to locate and obtain parts, most people want it today.  (3)  Most people do not realize the cost of parts and time required to diagnose some issues.  (4) Just dealing with people (I couldn't do it).  I'm sure there are many other reasons I couldn't do it but these reasons readily come to mind.

foakes

Everyone is different, xaf --

Suffice to say -- keep your day job...

Plus -- the best sure-fire method to make a small fortune in the reel repair business, is...

...to start with a large fortune...

It is fun and enjoyment first -- if you make enough to break even at the end of the year -- you are doing good.

There are a few folks who do a great job at running a reel repair business -- but they are rare.

IMO.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Tiddlerbasher

Fred - so true - for me friends and family (oh and my own of course :))

Bill B

It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

festus

From Shimano:

Job Summary:

The Reel Technician I is responsible for playing a vital role in creating and maintaining loyal customers. Under direction of the immediate supervisor, must meet or exceed quotas. Maintain quality repair of reels. Communicates professionally with customers, management, and co-workers.

Job Level:

Entry Level

Essential Duties/Responsibilities:

Analyze needed repairs on fishing reels
Repair reels with quality and efficiency with minimal to no re-work.
Meet or exceed reel repair quotas of ten (10) reels per day.
Establish collaborative relationships with peers.
Be available throughout the day to receive consumer calls.
Respond to emails and voicemails in a timely manner for same day turnarounds.
Maintain individual and departmental service levels and goals.
Identify and provide feedback on any non-conformities of product being serviced.
Mandatory overtime and weekends when required by management
Travel if needed.
Perform other duties as assigned by management.
Job Qualifications:

AS400 knowledge preferred.
JDE knowledge preferred
A minimum of 2 (two) years experience in Customer Service required.
A minimum of 2 (two) years fishing experience.
Some mechanical skills required.
Proficient in Microsoft Office s Word and Excel.
Education:

High School or GED equivalent

NOTE: This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with the job. Shimano North America reserves the right to modify and change responsibilities and duties herein without notice.

Shimano North Americais an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status or any classification protected by federal, state, or local law.

Hardy Boy

I started for fun and a favor for a buddy. Turned into a part time hobby/ job. Now I stock parts and do 250 plus or so reels a year, just for fun and fishing cash.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

happyhooker

My impression of the Shimano job description is that it is unrealistic.  Between the emails, phone calls, working with others, etc., how much actual time is going into each of those 10 (minimum) reels each day?

Frank

Midway Tommy

I service only mine and a few immediate family members' reels. I could buy a new reel cheaper if I considered my time more than $2 per hour.  ;) You best be retired to repair reels and do the customer justice. If you do a thorough job and have a family your family may starve to death.    :D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Tightlines667

I started as a hobby, developed it into a buisness with all profits going back into the buisness (parts stock, and tools).  I did between 150 and 400 big game reels anually for 4 years.  I transitioned back just doing my own and friends  (20-40/yr) after I bought a boat.  Not a big money maker with my profits hovering between $5k & $15k per year, but it does generate some cash flow, and it allowed me to set up a workshop.  It also allowed me to meet alot of local fisherman and become a more integral part of the local fishing community.

My part-time comercial fishing with the boat generated around $5-$10k per year in fish sales which basically covered operating costs. (1/3 cost of boat ownership).

Fishing was much more fun than working on reels :)

& it's a lot less stress working on a few here and there than sitiing on a 3-6week backlog of customers' reels.

John
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Cor

I've always only serviced and repaired my own and later some of my friends tackle as I was very aware that it's not really a profitable business.

I dont charge others as then I can simply tell them to wait till I have time, or "sorry I could not fix that"

It actually cost me money for glues, epoxy, fuel to drive to fetch something, or even a guide sometimes etc.    Makes the wife cross that I dont charge🤐
Cornelis

Gfish

Quote from: happyhooker on January 29, 2020, 03:12:52 AM
My impression of the Shimano job description is that it is unrealistic.  Between the emails, phone calls, working with others, etc., how much actual time is going into each of those 10 (minimum) reels each day?

Frank

X2. Actually it sounds kinda like a miserable job.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Alto Mare

Quote from: Gfish on January 29, 2020, 01:43:22 PM

I actually enjoy working on reels, especially now that have been home for 5 months.
I already knew there was no money to be made, but if you're able to break even at the end of the day and meet some great guys as you move along, you did good.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

steelhead_killer

This...

Quote from: Alto Mare on January 29, 2020, 02:15:19 PM
Quote from: Gfish on January 29, 2020, 01:43:22 PM

I actually enjoy working on reels, especially now that have been home for 5 months.
I already knew there was no money to be made, but if you're able to break even at the end of the day and meet some great guys as you move along, you did good.

Sal
><)))">

Brewcrafter

Frank - I'm not going to disagree, but I have been to the Shimano facility in Irvine SoCal - and it's pretty impressive.  Also, if you think about it, if you have the experience and only work on a very narrow species of reels (one brand), have all of the specialized tools and setups (along with all the parts readily available), it probably wouldn't be a stretch to do 10 or more in a day.  There are folks in this forum that could probably do certain types of reels with their eyes closed if they wanted to.  But, you're right - doesn't sound like a lot of fun. - John

xjchad

Another thing to consider about that Shimano job:
I don't think their idea of a repair is the same as most of us here.
I think a repair for most of us includes complete disassembly, cleaning, and reassembly.  Whereas, they probably just expect you to identify the problem fix/replace the part, and put it back together.  There's a huge difference in time required for those two options.  (at least for me, but I'm probably just slow)  :D
I wouldn't feel right just popping a side plate off and putting in a new drag stack (or whatever part) and screwing it back together. 
Husband, Father, Fisherman