Reel Repair Business ??

Started by xaf, January 28, 2020, 11:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

Quote from: xjchad on January 29, 2020, 06:13:10 PM
I wouldn't feel right just popping a side plate off and putting in a new drag stack (or whatever part) and screwing it back together. 

I have friends that have told me, Alex, just just install the spring that is missing, I dont want you to spend much time on my reel everything works corrently, next month I will bring the reel again for a proper service, but of course, when I open the reel up, there is no grease here or there, saltwater crystals are present on the hidden corners of the frame, etc, so even when it wasnt request I clean the reel, take the factory grease, clean the bearings, lube everything with proper saltawater grease and tsi321 oil on bearings and last thing is to install the new spring that it was missing, I need to say that some of the new penn reels and some okuma reels have been lubed really good from the factory, I have found no reason for lube them again when brand new.

with that said, well yes, Im with you Chad on this one.

The Baja Guy

steelhead_killer

10 per day.  Sounds grueling. Sounds like work, not fun.  But if it was all the same model and you had all the parts you need at your fingertips...without cleaning..sure. 
><)))">

festus

I'd be bored working only on Shimanos. 

Here's BPS's Outdoor World reel repair ad.  Sounds like more fun with a bigger variety. 

oc1

I've never heard of about half of those brands.

That Shimano job description... Don't you reckon that is to become an authorized service and warranty center?  Like on their list here:
http://fish.shimano.com/content/fish/northamerica/us/en/homepage/REEL_SUPPORT_SERVICES/Shimano-Authorized-Service-Centers.html
-steve

Gfish

I would imagine that 10 reels/day WOULD be possible along with all the other job duties, if they were into just tossing out a non-functioning multi-part unit and then replacing it.
For example, the complicated line roller unit on my Stradic's probably have about 8 parts, would they disassemble it and replace only the ball bearing and that stupid pot metal sleeve(both of which are corrosion magnets), probably not. Much faster/eaiser to replace the whole unit, and pass the excessive cost on the customer.
To be fair though, they did once send me these parts at no charge.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!