Installing anti reverse bearing in Abu Garcia 6500

Started by retiredandfishing, January 30, 2020, 06:10:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

retiredandfishing

Saw the nice write up on installing the anti reverse bearing on the Abu Garcia.  Thought it might be easier if I just re posted as my question is simple. 

I cannot quite make out which side the bearing is being put back in from, due to the fuzziness of the pictures.  I was able to get the old bearing out with no trouble using the vice and socket method.  Thanks everyone for that.  It looks like from what I can see the bearing is pushed in from the handle side when putting the new one in.  Can anyone tell me if that is correct?

Thanks, Steve

alantani

it doesn't matter as long as the side plate is not damaged.  usually pushing from the outside towards the inside works best because it is easier to support the inside, but you do have to adequately support the side plate.  the assembly that holds the anti-reverse bearing is also pressed in.  it can be pressed out if the assembly is not properly supported. 

usually, you screw it up once and then figure it out.   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

retiredandfishing

Thank you Allen.  Good point about the bearing seat.  I'll try and get it right the first time.  LOL.

Steve

retiredandfishing

Quote from: alantani on January 30, 2020, 04:16:29 PM
it doesn't matter as long as the side plate is not damaged.  usually pushing from the outside towards the inside works best because it is easier to support the inside, but you do have to adequately support the side plate.  the assembly that holds the anti-reverse bearing is also pressed in.  it can be pressed out if the assembly is not properly supported. 

usually, you screw it up once and then figure it out.   ;D

All went well. I went in from the handle side. I saw before I removed the old bearing that the top of the bearing was just below a line which may be the top of the assembly that holds the bearing in .  So I measured that depth and put a mark on my socket as the depth to go to.  Worked great, reel works fine.  This website is invaluable and your help is much appreciated.

Steve

alantani

so you know how i knew that you could damage the side plate if you weren't careful?  yeah, been there.  glad it worked out for you!

retiredandfishing

Quote from: alantani on February 02, 2020, 03:07:23 AM
so you know how i knew that you could damage the side plate if you weren't careful?  yeah, been there.  glad it worked out for you!

I will have to send you a commission one of these days Alan.  You and the website have saved me money and taken much of the worries out of working on reels.  LOL

Thanks again.  Steve

alantani

glad to help.  honestly, though, i still always worry about getting a guy into more trouble.  sort of like 4 wheel drive.  you just get a little farther out before you get stuck.   ;D