SIC Guide Sets

Started by Midway Tommy, January 31, 2020, 04:06:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

Thanks for posting this info. Love these kinda threads. Even though I gotta read some paragraphs 2-3 times, the physics stuff is very interesting, as well as good brain calisthenics.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

ReelFishingProblems

Love this thread too. Some serious mad scientists here.

steelfish

sooo, at the end, which are better fuji SICS or PacBay hialoy?   that was the only thing I was interested to know ::) ::) ::) ::)

just kidding guys, really an interesting read, but I had to stopp when I saw smoke comming out of my head trying to understand all the mad-science on the last 3 pages.
The Baja Guy

jurelometer

Quote from: The Fishing Hobby on February 07, 2020, 07:23:46 PM
Quote from: Rivverrat on February 07, 2020, 05:55:44 PM
The river here is all sand. I gave up using coated braid. The beach I fish in Texas is worse at times with certain braids picking up micro debris more so than others.
Does the 8 strand braid help? Seems like the braid would be tighter with more strands and maybe it wouldn't pick up or hold as much. I don't really have that problem in the places where I fish, just thinking about your situation and wondered if the number of strands would make any difference.

Lines with the same numbers of  strands (carriers)  can vary in the tightness of the weave (pic count).   Most brands do not publicize the pic count.  It would make sense that a looser weave would have a greater chance of grabbing grit when  the gaps close as the line goes from slack to tight.   Hollow braid could also trap grit on the inside, but  I think that hollow braids usually have a tighter weave.

I am with Riverrrat on coatings. The coatings that I am familiar with are on the waxy side, and I envision grit getting embedded in the coating.   If I had to guess, I would lean toward coating being the main factor. Sandpaper works well as an abrasive surface because of the adhesive that holds the grit in place on the paper.   Jeri's experiments with untreated braid should be enlightening.

Quote from: steelfish on February 12, 2020, 05:27:01 PM
sooo, at the end, which are better fuji SICS or PacBay hialoy?   that was the only thing I was interested to know ::) ::) ::) ::)

just kidding guys, really an interesting read, but I had to stopp when I saw smoke comming out of my head trying to understand all the mad-science on the last 3 pages.

Here is a more straightforward analogy (don't try in real life  ;D ) :

Imagine rubbing your forehead on a  smooth concrete wall very lightly (friction on guides during casting),  then rubbing your forehead harder  on the wall (friction on guides when winding under load), and finally banging your forehead hard on the wall (impact from  line coils and waves hitting the guides).    Which is going to damage your head the most, and how will that damage be different?  And how important is the smoothness of the wall if you are both rubbing and banging your head?

We are mostly trying to separate out the relative contribution  of rubbing vs. banging  to casting distance and line wear.  There are some simple experiments described in this thread  - if anyone is interested in trying (braid and guide tests, NOT forehead and wall :) ).

-J