Re glueing old daiwa gs sticker, suggestions on a adhevsive?

Started by airbats801, March 03, 2022, 07:02:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

airbats801

I picked up a pretty much new old daiwa minimite travel combo with the rod and reel the other day from ebay. Beautiful setup. It came with a gs-0 aka minimite. So the grease was rock hard in the reel, and I took it apart and was using some kroil to clean, probably not the greatest idea, but at first I was just going to clean the bearings. Anyhow, it got out on the frame and stickers and I was a bit worried it may hurt the aluminum or whatever they are stickers. Well After redoing everything I noticed one of the stickers is starting to pull away now. This thing is new, and I'd hate to lose it. I'm wanting to pull it off, clean the backing, and then reapply some adhesive. I was thinking 3m super 77, but was wondering if anyone has a better adhesive to suggest. 77 can be a bit mess spraying on and sticking is so so.

A few pics, I wish I would have taken some of rebuild.
http://www.nwstarquest.com/daiwaminimite1.jpg
http://www.nwstarquest.com/daiwaminimite2.jpg

jim mcnamara

airbats801
IF al to al then suggest 3m adhesive transfer tape 467mp or 468mp
(Former tech service engineer at 3m)
Best regards
Jim

Gfish

Welcome Jim and airbats801! Nice reel. I love me some old-school Daiwa Gold spinners. I'll take a little extra weight for some a that sturdy construction. Do you know the era of manufacture?
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Glos

Luck is when good preparation meets opportunity.

airbats801

Quote from: jim mcnamara on March 03, 2022, 09:55:36 AM
airbats801
IF al to al then suggest 3m adhesive transfer tape 467mp or 468mp
(Former tech service engineer at 3m)
Best regards
Jim

Thanks for the tip. I will give it a try. Its like a foil sitcker onto painted aluminum.

airbats801

Quote from: Gfish on March 03, 2022, 03:30:26 PM
Welcome Jim and airbats801! Nice reel. I love me some old-school Daiwa Gold spinners. I'll take a little extra weight for some a that sturdy construction. Do you know the era of manufacture?

I really dont know exact date, but I believe the gs-0 minimite was released in 1977. This is the entire minimite combo with the 5 piece ultra light rod. Fantastic little thing for sure. Nice beauty wrap and all. It still has metal guides with no ceramic inserts, so it could be late 70s.

Here is the brochure. Unfortunately the warranty card doesnt have a date on it, and neither does the brochure.
http://www.nwstarquest.com/daiwab1.jpg
http://www.nwstarquest.com/daiwab2.jpg

airbats801

Quote from: Glos on March 03, 2022, 04:00:30 PM
Those were the days when "BG" meant something.

I'm still a little foggy on the bg line, were they after the ss and gs? Either way, I absolutely love them. I've started fishing some of my dads older equipment recently that I've had forever. I've landed some fantastic sturgeon with a old fenwick metal guide fiberglass pacificstik and a daiwa 50h. I snagged a neat daiwa nib graphite gs2055t the other day as well. I still have quite a few old lamiglass fiberglass blanks and a few graphites I need to build, so I figure nice old reels for nice old rods.

thorhammer

Hold on to those honey gold Lami's like gold! Unless you wish to sell one :)

jim mcnamara

airbats801
We are now bonding a paint/polymer to al.
Ideally we need to establish the surface energy of paint/polymer.
This can be done by applying a solution to the surface so as to determine if it is low or high surface energy.
The solution has a dyn/cm value of 38 and comes in a pen style applicator. The one I have and still use is manufactured by SOFTAL  electronic GmbH and should be available in the US.
I am located in Australia so cannot assist you directly, however I am sure there would be another 3M (either current or former) tech service engineer for adhesives on this forum.
If not contact your nearest 3M distributor and get them or (alternatively yourself) to talk to 3M technical direct re a solution.
Best regards
Jim

airbats801

Quote from: thorhammer on March 03, 2022, 07:09:00 PM
Hold on to those honey gold Lami's like gold! Unless you wish to sell one :)

There is a local garage saler that has probably 70 or so old yellow lamiglass blanks laying around still real cheap

nelz

Quote from: airbats801 on March 03, 2022, 06:29:21 PMI'm still a little foggy on the bg line, were they after the ss and gs?

GS is the predecessor of the BG. They're pretty much identical except the BG's have a much more durable black finish. That gold finish was pretty weak. I have a GS13 that looks like hell, but (other than a bail spring) it refuses to die, lol.  ;D

kevin cozens

I recently had to re stick a decal back on a Daiwa sealine.
The decal was made from think aluminium.
I stuck it back on with a THIN layer of jb weld