Previous topic - Next topic

El Pescador

Everyone,

this from our AU member of good standing Don -

he asked if I would post this for him,

Don you are now posted, take it away.

Wayne

Hi Wayne & Jennifer, hope your both keeping well, Wayne old mate buddy pal,
if I send you some photos of the internal construction, of a handle of off a Daiwa 47SH self levelling fishing reel, could you place it on the forum, under the general procedures section, & I will take it from there, I might contact Sal, first just to see, if he can give me any info on making a new handle.
The story is I brought this reel, from a bloke in South Australia, he posted it without any packing around it, & the handle finished up broken in half, so the pics will show many of the members the internals of a handle that they have never viewed before,
hopefully I can construct one from a rubber push bike handle, filled with two pack epoxy, on an angle, if I coat the shaft of the internals with marine grease, then that should stop the epoxy for setting on the internal shaft, allowing the new handle to pivot, thanks Wayne will contact you soon, if that will be okay, cheers Don.

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

thorhammer

Don, if you don't sort this one to your satisfaction I might have one of these- I will try to look this weekend. If I have its yours, NC.

John

Gfish

That's a great cross sectional view of knob structure that I've never seen. Thanks for posting.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Donnyboat

Hay Wayne thanks again man, your so helpful to me.
     John thanks so much for your generous offer, but i am sure I will be able to fix it, so dont waste any of your time just now, if I need it I will PM you later.
     Yes Gfish, it is a view of the inside look of a Daiwa handle, I would imadgen not many members have ever seen before, thats why I wanted to post it.
     As I told Wayne, I have a rubber push bike handle, if I can fill it with epoxy, them place plenty of Marine grease on the centre shaft, then push it through the epoxy, then let it set, with the grease there I should be able to turn the handle after.
     I dont expect it to look to flash when I finish it, but it should be quite serviceable, I will send more pics as I advance with it, cheers Don. thanks again Wayne and John.
Don, or donnyboat

mo65

It almost looks like a clean break where you could drill a few small holes and use little pins and epoxy to press it back in place. I'm betting someone here can hook you up with a replacement though if your fix doesn't pan out. Good luck Don! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Donnyboat

Good thanks Mike, yes I thought of your idea, but I brought the rubber handle, a few months back to do the same with another reel, but it was a cheaply made reel & some of the inturnals were to warn to worry about going further with it.
     This Daiwa 47SH is in really good order, so I would like to have it going good, this reel is about the same size as a Penn Senator 3/0,  but the original handle was very small anyway, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

thorhammer

Don, I bought six of those as a package deal a few years back for $180 USD, only issues were two missing badges which most Sealines were prone to anyway. I don't think I ever even opened them up- put new line on them and have been using them as downrigger reels every summer for striped bass- NO ISSUES. Well made, my only call out is the same - that knob may be ok on the 27, but I want more for the  47 as I'm reeling fish in while still trolling. Just haven't decided yet if I want to  put on bigger knobs or a whole larger handle with more umph.

Donnyboat

Good John, yes if your trawling with them, them more umph is the word, 6:40 am here now so I  will get onto it soon, they are forecasting 29C here today, a good moderate temp, then it is jumping to 38C for 3 days, so I might go crabing on Tuesday & crabing & net fishing on Wednesday, I will keep everone posted on the progress with the handle, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Porthos

If you have access to any Jigmaster power handles, a replacement can be had by just reworking the round ends of the handle shaft hole; needle files will do the trick. The amount of rework is self-evident when aligning the handle holes of the 47SH against the Jigmaster power handle.

This the result on my 47SH:

**UPDATE Feb 02, 2020**
Hooked up to a suspected black seabass on the 1/2-day boat out of Oceanside, CA. Fought for 15+ minutes before it spit the hook after multiple runs (terminal gear and knots were retrieved all intact). Would not have wanted any part of that fight if the handle was the original Daiwa 47H/47SH handle.

El Pescador

Don sent me some updated photos of the handle repair/fix for his Daiwa Sealine 47H reel.

"Wayne hope this contact finds you & Jennifer in good health,
Wayne I am sending two emails with pics of the handle of the Daiwa 47H reel that you started for me,
in the General procedures Jan 31/2020,
could you please enter these pics under the same post & I will give a run down of the drarmers I had, cheers Don."

So, without further adieu, Here are Don's photos!!!!!

Wayne

Donnyboat

Thank you Wayne for posting these last four pics, also a correction, it is a Daiwa 47SH reel.
    The first pic of the last four, I brought the push bike handle, with the intentions of using it, unfortunately the bike handle are the same size for small bikes & large bikes, anyway I look it home, then looked at it, and decided it was to large.
     So epoxied the old handle together, as one pic shows it stuck really good, but was a bit rough on one side, so I started buffing it, but was` nt getting anyware, so I swapped to a course buff, that was doing a good job till the lighter Bristols war of, then it started to grind the plastic or delrin away.
     So I had to use the bike handle after all, the rough rubber lines in the handle, created some proublems, as the epoxy was getting into it.
     so the end result is a bit rough, but still very serviceable, I wanted to make a thumb shape on the top, but left it to late, and the epoxy became to hard.
     `anyway I hope this helps some of the members, the pros & cons of handle making, cheers Don, & thanks again Wayne.
Don, or donnyboat

Crow

Good job. Don !   When I get back home, I have a "broken knob" that may get the same treatment.
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

El Pescador

Don,

Full Disclosure from you...

I want to make sure some local kid's bike ISN'T MISSING A HANDLE GRIP!!!!!!!

Kidding...

Wayne

mhc

That's a handful of grip Don! It should be easy on your hand reeling in the big Dhu. I've got a vague memory your mate Wallace used a bike handle grip on one of his reels - I could be wrong, I just spent 15 min looking for it without luck.

Mike
It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Decker

Wai's and Don's handles are strangely similar ;D

How do you guys use the 47SH?   Braid?  Bottom fishing?  With how much weight?

I have one not put into service yet.   Seems like it would do well for wreck fishing. 

It is faster than the 47H... is it just as strong?