Daiwa 7280A

Started by festus, February 18, 2020, 07:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

festus

A few weeks back I received a box of assorted spinning and spincasting Daiwa reels from ebay which were advertised for parts.  It's looking like maybe all of those can be put back to use.

These 7280A were probably made in the early 1970s and cost somewhere around 5 to 7 bucks.  I added the total parts together from the old schematic, and to buy all the parts separately, it came to approximately $9.25.  ;D

On the exterior, the only plastic is the spool, handle knob, and drag knob.

Spool has been removed, a look inside the rotor.

Body cover has been removed, an inside is a familiar simple design seen in the lower end Heddons, Shakespeares, Olympics, and other Japanese reels from the 1960s and 70s. 

Removing oscillating slider pin.

Removing the axle.

Removing the nylon oscillating slider.

Another common feature in these lower end reels is the lack of a hexagon nut connecting the rotor to the main body.  Instead is a pinion retainer.

The drive gear is somewhat worn, but plenty of use remaining for lighter fishing.

A look inside the housing.  This is the most simple anti-reverse setup I've seen on a spinner.  One flat spring and a claw (dog).

This reel needed a good cleanup, so I decided to disassemble everything.  The bail nut takes a 5mm socket.

Removing the arm lever, screw, and bail spring.

Here is the entire reel taken apart.

Used lacquer thinner to clean the drive gear and a few internal metal parts, everything else was scrubbed with Dawn detergent. Grand total of 25 parts.

This reel was a piece of cake to service, that is except one instance, the two anti-reverse parts.  Took quite a while to get the flat spring to cooperate.  So I reinserted the drive gear and handle back together as quickly as possible to keep the a/r intact.

Rotor and body ready to go back together.

The schematic shows one drag washer, but it's doubtful this metal one is original.  However, the drag works, and until I can find a felt washer, it'll have to do.

These were decent novice reels back in the day, very little plastic, most likely intended for panfishing with live baits.  It would do ok for very light channel catfishing, sucker, carp, or bass fishing.  Schematic lists the line capacity at 200 yds. of 8 lb. monofilament.  It weighs 8.65 oz without line. These are the type of reels we used as "old catfish reels" for creek fishing during the 1970s. Something you didn't give a hoot how muddy it got, load it up with 12  mono, take a couple cases of beer to Poplar Creek and spend the weekend. More often than not, a buzz was caught, maybe not so many fish.  ;D ;)  Sure, we had better tackle, but chose to leave it at home.

sparidae

yet another legend of daiwa.. thanks :)
. a fisher - dad - son - husband
reel maintenance

mo65

Quote from: festus on February 18, 2020, 07:56:56 PM
  These are the type of reels we used as "old catfish reels" for creek fishing during the 1970s. Something you didn't give a hoot how muddy it got, load it up with 12  mono, take a couple cases of beer to Poplar Creek and spend the weekend. More often than not, a buzz was caught, maybe not so many fish.  ;D ;)  Sure, we had better tackle, but chose to leave it at home.

I hear ya Chester...we had 'em too! We called them "party combos". If you passed out and someone made off with your pole, you weren't out much! ;D
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

happyhooker

Nice pics & discussion.  That AR reminds me of the one on a Mitchell 320.

Frank