Greenie 712

Started by jigmaster501, February 03, 2020, 12:53:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jigmaster501

Got a great deal on a greenie 712 at a flea market.

Took it apart (first time with a greenie).

The bearing is stuck in the housing but spins totally fine when oiled. Wish I could get it out but don't want to break the reel.

Cleaned everything else, greased it and put it back together.

I have a green plastic spool and ordered an aluminum 712z spool, which I hope fit.

The bail roller looks like carborundum and I think it will hold up to 20lb braid. Am I wrong? Would the plastic spool hold up with the braid or would it crack?

The reel is incredible even with old beat up paint. Wish I would have got on these sooner.

Thanks.

Eugene

Midway Tommy

Do some searching here on ways to get both the bearing & pinion out of the body. There are numerous examples & explanations here.

I use a 3x11/2x1/8" metal strap with a 1/2" hole drilled in the center. I slip it over the pinion and thread the nut onto the pinion to protect the threads. If need be I'll put a smaller hole washer between the strap and the nut. Put the body between two blocks of wood that are tall enough so that the end of the pinion is an inch or so above your table with the rotor end over the top of the blocks. Have the strap perpendicular to the foot/thin portion of the body and cross-way between the blocks. Take a hammer and drive the strap down alternating sides until the pinion & bearing come out of the body. If the bearing is frozen onto the pinion use the same concept but put the strap on the back side of the bearing, blocks on both sides of the pinion and with a small block of wood & hammer drive the pinion, with nut protecting the threads, down out of the bearing. Also, it never hurts to add a little penetrating oil or lacquer thinner at the pinion/bearing joint a little while before you drive the pinion out. Same at the bearing/body joint. Most times it loosens things up a little bit.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

nelz

Quote from: jigmaster501 on February 03, 2020, 12:53:37 AMThe bail roller looks like carborundum and I think it will hold up to 20lb braid. Am I wrong? Would the plastic spool hold up with the braid or would it crack?

Actually braid is better for plastic spools, it won't compress like mono which can crack a spool from the pressure. As for the carborundum roller, they are indestructible, braid should be fine. Have fun with that old school reel, they don't build them like that anymore!