One and done 20191210

Started by xjchad, December 12, 2019, 03:55:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xjchad

Had a small window to soak some bait last night with my dad.
Conditions were great.  Had one screamer on one of my rods that dropped it.  
As soon as I reeled in my dad's rod went off.  
After a couple long runs and a good fight, I was able to get ahold of the tail and drag it up on the sand for him.

68" male Soupfin.
Incoming tide.
Mack chunk.

We fished another hour and a half, but the bait stealers were picking the bones clean in 10 minutes.
It got really cold and my back was hurting so we left.
Need to get some waders!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Maxed Out

Your dad is a trooper !!

Looks like something took a bite of the tail or is that just normal ??
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

xjchad

Thanks guys!

Ted, that's the normal shape of a Soupfin's tail.

But we have landed sharks with bite marks and wounds from other sharks before.  :o
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

David Hall

I give you kudos for wading out there and dragging it in with no waders.  Makes for a cold and miserable time afterwards.  Good job on the catch.

Sharkb8

Well done Chad did you eat it or let it go ?

Kim

Midway Tommy

I'll bet that was a heck of a lot of fun!
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

steelfish

great fish amigo.
Im dont recall if you already said it before bit what rod and reel are using to catch those sharks?
do you cast the bait or use a kayak  ?
The Baja Guy

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Alto Mare

Missed this one Chad... nice!

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Gfish

Nice!
Is it legal to keep a Soupfin? The dish in Chinese resturants is very expensive.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Lingwendil

Quote from: Gfish on December 29, 2019, 11:12:05 PM
Nice!
Is it legal to keep a Soupfin? The dish in Chinese resturants is very expensive.

From the California DFW regulation website-
"The daily bag and possession limit for soupfin shark is one fish with no minimum size limit. "

I've eaten the meat before (beer battered and fried with sweet potato steak fries! Yum!) and found that it was fantastic. I've had the soup on two occasions and if you haven't had it before you aren't missing anything- the fin is cooked to the point of practically nothing left- It mostly breaks down to give body to the broth in the soup. Unless you have someone who finds it culturally significant and chooses to prepare it (it's often used for honored guests or extremely special occasions, or simply to show off your affluence) I wouldn't bother.

The cartilage of the fins is shredded and used basically as a thickener in the soup, similar to chicken fat or gelatin in many broth or stock recipes.
Levelwind Lunatic! Cheap Bastard!

Penn and Pflueger nutjob!

Eyes out for: Pflueger Rocket, vintage 4-1 ratio or better spinning reels (especially metal-bodied and ultralight!)

CapeFish

Great catch! Yes soupfin are sought after table fair, our stock in South Africa has plummeted, the decision makers have dished out quotas way above what has been recommended by scientists. We export them to Australia