Family Cruise to Cabo and Fished for Half Day Feb. 3, 2020

Started by El Pescador, February 08, 2020, 01:22:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Pescador

Jennifer and her two siblings decided to put together a family cruise to Cabo and I planned to fish for a half-day while in town.

Jen had this sign made for our Cabin Door.

And here is Mrs. El Pescador and me for a photo.

Here is a photo of the famous Cabo Arch and Lands End.

I never get tired of looking at it.

And I brought ONE REEl - this Penn Baja Special I purchased from Dominick after Sal created the TANK and gave it to him!!!

I purchased it for such a low price I'm embarrassed to type out the number.

PLUS when you add up all the great meals, snacks and vast quality of GREAT red wines I've enjoyed with Linda and Dominick, I have to say the reel cost me NOTHING!!!! ;D

When I handed the Baja Special to the Panga Capt., he was moving his thumb over the shifter asking "Is this new??"

I said, "New??  it is a gift from Ted!!!!?

He asked, "Who's Ted???"

You know, Ted's Custom-made Shifty Shifter Levers!!!!   THAT TED!!!!!! :-*   Thanks Buddy Boy!!!!

Our day fishing starts at 1:30 PM since we dropped anchors - both stern and bow at noon.

And while Nayo - Pronounced NI - YO - prepared the rods for the day of fishing.

His English is excellent!!!!  All learned while speaking it to fishing guests on the boat.

And while Nayo is getting the rods ready, he has my Brother-in-law pilot the boat.  DOUG is in HEAVEN.

He would rather pilot a boat than fish - and he has for many years.   Jen and brother Doug lived with their parents on Kodiak Island, AK during the early 70's when their Dad was the local Baptist Minister.  And there Doug worked on a Tender boat taking fish & Crab from the trawlers to the cannery.  

At age 16 he had earned enough money to purchase a BRAND-NEW Chevy Corvette, a Red one, and funny thing, at that time Kodiak only had 18 miles of MOSTLY gravel roads!!!!!

Now the word of today is WHALES!!!!  LOTS of WHALES!!!!  They would NOT leave us alone.  He saw over 30+ whales today.   and for the 3 days in Cabo, over 100+ whales were viewed.  Including a Humpbacked Whale Calf!!!  Was only 15' long and the Mother whale would use her flipper to keep Junior up on the surface!!!   WOW!!  NEVER saw that before!!!!

The whales were Jumping (Breaching), tail slapping, flipper out of the water, nose up out of water only.  We saw it all.  ALL while we are trying to fish!!!!!

And here is the SURPRISE of the day!!!!  This whale kept on a track that would cross our path.  We were trying to head straight up wind to keep the wave spray down to a minimum.   BUTT this humpback whale was set to cross us.

Finally, we stopped the motor and keep the gear in the water.

THEN IT HAPPENED!!!

I saw the white on the whale's flipper and belly turn green .... THEN DISAPPEARED UNDER THE BOAT!!!!

The Pelagic cetacean (Whale) DID GO UNDER OUR BOAT and appear on the other side about 80' away!!!!

WOW!!!!!!  Gary should have been here with her GoPro Vid camera!!!!!  We stood there with our mouth's WIDE OPEN screaming "IT WENT UNDER THE BOAT!!!!!!"  This alone was worth the price of admission!!!!

BUTT back to fishing....

We are cruising along with some good wave chop when Nayo sees a marlin tail half out of the water.

he grabbed my set up, hit the bait tank for a 6" sardine, hooks it to the size 1 Tuna hook and does a 40' cast towards the marlin.

It circled back, big nose spear slashing back and forth!!!!  THEN the hookup!!!!!

Nayo hands me the rod with Dominick's Baja Special with 40 lbs. mono line and the fight is ON!!!!

Great fishing fish!!!!  3 times I brought it to boat side only for it to take off with the smoothest drag releasing line.  A true pleasure to fish a reel ready for a great fight!!!!

Finally, the stripped Marlin was tired enough for Nayo to grab its bill and hold the fish alongside the panga.

FISH IN THE BOAT!!!!!   What a fight and what a reel!!!!!

We guess the weight to be about 125 lbs. BUTT who knows!!!!

We head back to the Cabo Harbor - and it seems to be getting filled with boats!!!

Since I first fished with Dominick at age 50 or 13 years ago, we always completed our day by stopping at Soloman's Cove for a cold beer to wash off the salt spray!!!  and today was no difference!!!!   THANK GOD for tradition!!!!

Here is a great Sunset to cap off a great day of fishing and whale dodging!!!

What a day!!!!!

Heading back for dinner with Jen and her Sister.

Wayne

Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

Benni3

Nice pictures,,,, :D fabulous catch,,,,, ;) great way to test a reel out on a fantastic trip,,,,,,,, ;D

Brendan

Nice diversion from whale watching. I'm glad you had a great trip.
Tight lines, Brendan.

Alto Mare

A very nice trip, I'm glad you had a great time Wayne... nice catch!

Thanks for posting.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Dominick

Hey great report and as always terrific pictures.  You left out the part about Dominick driving you to and from the airport.  :D  That was a nice marlin.  I'm glad the Baja Special worked out, but you have to stop referring to it as Dominick's reel.  You paid your money so it is Wayne's reel from now on.  You know I'm getting old, are you sure you actually gave me the money for that reel?  :-\  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Donnyboat

Nice report Wayne, nice fish, thanks for taking us along, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Rancanfish

Great report.  But as this site is about our tools,  is that Baja Special set up with a Cortez bridge?
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Maxed Out

Fantastic report as usual Wayne. Beautiful scenery. I bet they have tourists that pay just to go whale watching. Why not fish and whale watch all at once !! Does your Baja reel have the new Cortez DD bridge ?? Nice to see the shifty shift lever thingy in action. Where is lands end and those arches ?? Ive never been south of coos bay Or. so you'll have to excuse the dumb questions
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

oc1

Man, you have all the fun and have really been on a roll.
-steve

El Pescador

Quote from: Dominick on February 08, 2020, 04:40:37 AM
...  You left out the part about Dominick driving you to and from the airport.  :D  That was a nice marlin.  I'm glad the Baja Special worked out, but you have to stop referring to it as Dominick's reel.  You paid your money so it is Wayne's reel from now on.    :-\  Dominick

Yes, we always set up our transportation to and from San Francisco International (SFO) with our ONLY 5-Star, Black Hat Car Service with yes, Dominick!  Always on time and usually with a smile :o

And as far as calling the Baja Special Dominick's reel, I say it with the same respect and history as you always say the TANK is from SAL!!!

Wayne

El Pescador

Quote from: Maxed Out on February 08, 2020, 06:04:57 AM
Fantastic report as usual Wayne. Beautiful scenery. I bet they have tourists that pay just to go whale watching. Why not fish and whale watch all at once !! Does your Baja reel have the new Cortez DD bridge ?? Nice to see the shifty shift lever thingy in action. Where is lands end and those arches ?? I've never been south of coos bay Or. so you'll have to excuse the dumb questions
Quote from: Rancanfish on February 08, 2020, 06:00:49 AM
Great report.  But as this site is about our tools,  is that Baja Special set up with a Cortez bridge?

Rancanfish and Tedmeister!!!!

NO to answer your question, I have NOT had Tom from Cortez Conversions replace the Baja Special Bridge with his super-charged one.  need to.

The problem is I don't work on reels to that degree.  

I still don't know what happened that day when Alan decided to hit the "ACCEPT" button on my website application!!!

My moniker should be...  "I'd rather be fish'n than FIX'N!!!"

I can pull out the bridge and get Tom to do his exchange, BUTT will need Alan, Bryan or Fred to install the parts on my countertop!!!!!

You laugh it is true!!!!

No mention of Alan's 5/0 handle, it too was flawless!!!   Need to stop by Alan and have you replace the handle screws with your new SS Socket Head Screws.  A nice change over for sure.

Wayne

mo65

Wow Wayne! What a catch...I'd love to wrestle one of those birds. Great pics too...thanks for posting! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

David Hall

thanks for taking us on the ride with you Wayne.  I always enjoy getting out of the house vicariously. 

steelfish

Quote from: Maxed Out on February 08, 2020, 06:04:57 AM
........ Where is lands end and those arches ?? Ive never been south of coos bay Or. so you'll have to excuse the dumb questions

sorry Wayne, I had to anwer this.

Ted, Cabo or the city of "Los Cabos" is located at the very tip end of the Baja Peninsula, so, its known as "land's end", you have 3 "californias",  California, USA, Baja California, Mx and Baja California Sur, Mx,  then nothing.

The Baja Guy

Hardy Boy

Great job and report! and a great reel for that fish! Good job !

Cheers:

Todd
Todd