SURFMASTER 200 NARROWED

Started by basto, February 09, 2020, 01:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sharkman

What would you recommend for backing and how much on spool. I don't plan on casting it will be used for jigging large sabiki rigs for Spanish mackerel off of a bridge/pier.

Decker

Quote from: mo65 on March 17, 2020, 05:15:33 PM
Quote from: sharkman on March 17, 2020, 04:33:15 PM
Have you had any problems running straight mono on the plastic spools. I have a narrowed 155 with plastic spool I was thinking of spooling with 20lb mono.

I wouldn't risk running mono without some non- stretch backing under it...and even then...watch how tight you spool that mono.

X2 - Put a layer of dacron line (or some other woven line) under the mono to absorb the squeezing of the mono so it doesn't explode the spool.   

festus

Got a question for you Frankenreelers.

Could a Surfmaster 200 be narrowed to 100 width using the plastic spool, frame posts, and stand from a Monofil 27? 

mo65

Quote from: festus on March 17, 2020, 06:16:27 PM

Could a Surfmaster 200 be narrowed to 100 width using the plastic spool, frame posts, and stand from a Monofil 27? 

Absolutely! And it will cast like an Ambassaduer...sometimes better.
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

sharkman

Thanks for the advice on backing. I narrowed one with the spool, stand, and bars off of a Penn 78.

festus

Quote from: mo65 on March 17, 2020, 07:01:00 PM
Quote from: festus on March 17, 2020, 06:16:27 PM

Absolutely! And it will cast like an Ambassaduer...sometimes better.
Great!  I have two Monofil 27 for parts and will start the project in a couple days.  Thanks for the good news, Michael.

basto

I probably prefer plastic spools over chromed brass spools on reels of this size  because plastic does not corrode.
with the chromed brass spools, the braid or whatever you put under your mono is going to corrode you metal spool even quicker.
Of course alloy spools are the top choice, but still need care.
I put a thin coating of blue grease on my alloy spools under my main line.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n