P229m 4:1 - 5:1 ?

Started by Chasedaniels, February 12, 2020, 03:53:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chasedaniels

Recently purchased a p229m being completely honest I tried searching but forgot what page I was on.  Can anyone confirm the ratio on this reel. Thank you also is the reel foot slimmer then the p229f or are they the same size I'm guessing they are the same I can't see why they would be any different being they are both 229's once again thank you!
Chasedaniels

Swami805

It's 4-1   The feet are all the same if there aluminum like a P. Some of the graphite Newell's have a stainless foot imbedded in the graphite that are a thinner profile. 
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Newell Nut

Both P 229s are the same parts except the gears. M is 4.1 and F is 5.1. If you decide to change the gears make sure you change the main gear and pinion together. They have to match.

Dwight

Rancanfish

I was really happy to find a NIB P220m. Perfect shallow water rockfish reel.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.

Chasedaniels

Thanks gents! I'm hoping when I get her in The mail that she's not a frankenreel. As I have ran into that problem before. i don't plan on switching out anything unless I really need to. 4:1 fits my cod/blackfish needs my accurate tern release lever broke off my putting it into freespool gonna throw it in the garbage  I've only had it for 3 months.... 2nd time repairing the same issue.
Chasedaniels

MarkT

The P series M's were 4:1 and the later M's were 3.6:1?
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Rancanfish

Mark,  a lot late here,  but I just went and checked the ratio of mine.  P220M

You are right.  3.6:1

Bryan Young

One good thing about the M and T geared reels is that you can use a jigmaster 500/501 gear set as replacement without any adjustments.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Quote from: Bryan Young on May 04, 2020, 08:02:37 AM
One good thing about the M and T geared reels is that you can use a jigmaster 500/501 gear set as replacement without any adjustments.

That's great to know Bryan!  Can you also replace the five the one gears with stock Jigmaster gears?  I don't think there's anything else different between the F and the M besides the gears.

Bryan Young

Quote from: Vintage Offshore Tackle on May 04, 2020, 04:05:07 PM

That's great to know Bryan!  Can you also replace the five the one gears with stock Jigmaster gears?  I don't think there's anything else different between the F and the M besides the gears.

Hi Randy,

The 505/506 main gear is replaceable.  The pinion gear, you will need to take the flange ring off the pinion gear and braze it to the Penn 505/506 pinion gear.  The ring on the 505/506 is too small and will not fit over the engagement shaft of the spool.

I'll take a photo of it later to show a comparison.
Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Thanks for the info Bryan, but those modifications sound like they are way above my pay grade.  I'm thrilled when I manage to put a reel back together and everything works.

What I meant was if you were OK with the stock 4:1 gear ratio, can you put stock Jigmaster gears into an F series 200-400 series Newell?

Thanks again,

Randy

sabaman1

Would the 500 gear and pinion work on a C229 as well ?
JIM

Rancanfish

Can't you just leave the ring off, like I see on different Penn pinions?

Swami805

500 gears are too big and won't fit in the side plates
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Bryan Young

Quote from: Vintage Offshore Tackle on May 04, 2020, 11:04:23 PM
Thanks for the info Bryan, but those modifications sound like they are way above my pay grade.  I'm thrilled when I manage to put a reel back together and everything works.

What I meant was if you were OK with the stock 4:1 gear ratio, can you put stock Jigmaster gears into an F series 200-400 series Newell?

Thanks again,

Randy
Yes, the Penn 500/501 gear set (main + pinion) will work in place of the 5:1 gear ratio Newell gear set without any modifications.