Salvaging a seat and grip

Started by JasonGotaProblem, February 20, 2023, 02:01:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonGotaProblem

I broke this rod on a shark thru user error a few months ago. But I kept the pieces. I had sawed off the fore grip to steal the fuji lock nut previously. Well i noticed that the inner diameter (about 3/8") of the sawed off blank was quite near to the outer diameter of a different lighter blank I'm about to build on. So i slid it in, almost fits. It slid down to about 4" above where I'd want it to land. So i widened the bottom with a 13/32 drill bit and similar on the top with a 25/64 bit. Now it slides on perfectly and snugly to where i want it.

The original seat was attached with PC7. If I generously apply more PC7 to attach to the new blank, is there any reason to think it won't work as intended? It kinda feels like using a nonstandard graphite arbor.
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

steelfish

of course it will work amigo, been there done that!

I dont know if this is 100% necessary but in my case I sanded out a bit more the ID so, it wont fit snug but more smooth just a bit more until I could put more PC7 between the parts to had a stronger bond, if it fits pretty snug right now you can use a really strong liquid epoxy and it will keep the parts glued forever
The Baja Guy

oldmanjoe

Like Alex said  Been there done that .      How far did you did the new stick go into the old butt handle ?  What did you feel different in the action of the stick with the stiffer handle ?  Can you reem the handle a little more to see if you get a little more tip talk ?
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

JasonGotaProblem

I'll post a pic tonight. The bottom of the cork sits about 4" above the butt after I bored it out. Before the bore it was stopping about 10" higher. I like it. I roughed up the blank surface really good before applying, and I ended up using 5 min epoxy because the paste epoxy feels too thick for that application.

Time will tell. 
Any machine is a smoke machine if you use it wrong enough.

Shellbelly

I did something similar with a broken AllStar.  Except, I had to cut off a couple of inches of the butt and shove the blank from that end.  Had to shim it to make it stable.  Wrapped it and it became one of the best rods I've ever had.  Still using it after almost 20 years.

I'm watching this as well.  I have more candidates for the method you're using here.
"Little boy,  you can get glad in the same pants you just got mad in."  (My Momma)
"You shot it boy, you're gonna clean it and eat it".  (My Dad)