Butt cap relevance in jigging.

Started by Glos, February 12, 2020, 08:48:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glos

What`s your opinion on butt cap relevance beside serving as counterweight on spinning rods.

I am of opinion that metal is best option not only because it is sturdy and best to look at, but also because when used in jigging it helps with vibrations getting thru to the hand.
Luck is when good preparation meets opportunity.

boon

Eeer, which vibrations?

I own a series of moderately high-end spin jig rods. The PE8 and PE6 ones have an aluminium gimbal butt, the PE4 has a rubber one, and the PE2 rods have no cap at all, just a small EVA knob on the end. I use a large EVA mushroom or a Cush-It, if I'm not using a light gimbal belt with the heavy rods.

Glos

Quote from: boon on February 13, 2020, 04:30:44 AM
Eeer, which vibrations?

I own a series of moderately high-end spin jig rods. The PE8 and PE6 ones have an aluminium gimbal butt, the PE4 has a rubber one, and the PE2 rods have no cap at all, just a small EVA knob on the end. I use a large EVA mushroom or a Cush-It, if I'm not using a light gimbal belt with the heavy rods.
The ones that let you know that jigg head has reached the bottom, mud, sand.
That first thump.
And I`m thinking very light zander fishing set up.

oc1

What else is there besides counterweight and something blunt that will not stab you in the gut?  If you have to swing the rod up and down all day the counterweight will keep it from wearing you out.  Without a balanced rod, all that tip weight has to be supported with the small muscles in your wrist and forearm.  If the rod is balanced you take the strain off the small muscles and only have to use the large muscles in the back and upper arm.  Large muscles will not fatigue as quickly.
-steve

boon

Quote from: glos on February 13, 2020, 04:39:40 AM
The ones that let you know that jigg head has reached the bottom, mud, sand.
That first thump.
And I`m thinking very light zander fishing set up.

Ohhhh I see. The best bet for good "feedback" is a skeleton reel seat with the blank exposed.

Glos

Ahaa, nice info.
But if we are choosing, say rubber butt cap, plastic - graphite, or metal.
Don`t you think that if there are any slightest of diferences, in overall resonance,  metal is that tiny bit better, choice.
Not saying that it counts for a lot, just that subtle almost irrelevant ones.

boon

I would say exposed butt with a small hard EVA knob on the end. Additional mass will dampen anything that comes through the rod.
Have a look at all of the high-end Japanese slow jig rods, they all use this configuration.

Word of warning, rods set up like this are extremely easy to snap off at the butt if left in a rod holder.

Glos

CapeFish

Why do you need a counterweight on a spinning rod?

oc1

Quote from: CapeFish on February 14, 2020, 06:22:36 AM
Try it.  You'll never go back.
-steve

boon

Quote from: glos on February 14, 2020, 05:13:11 AM
Ok, thx. I was wrong then.

No such thing - what is "correct" is whatever you like the best at the end of the day.

Glos

Quote from: boon on February 14, 2020, 07:08:48 AM
Quote from: glos on February 14, 2020, 05:13:11 AM
Ok, thx. I was wrong then.

No such thing - what is "correct" is whatever you like the best at the end of the day.
I ( would ) like what ever gives better feedback. And this particular end piece of tackle is somewhat ignored in the industry and community. Which I can understand because in majority of situations it really doesn`t serve any function beside adding weight and looking good, being sturdy.
But in light jigging, or slow jigging, it probably does make a slight difference, that we are all oblivious of..

CapeFish

Quote from: oc1 on February 14, 2020, 06:53:46 AM
-steve

Never heard of it, will check it out thanks, just not sure I want to add extra weight to rods, I prefer them as light as possible

Swami805

I've seen a kit that has a threaded receptacle that replaces the butt cap. Come with a set of weights of different sizes that screw inter balance the rod. Not sure if they're still made though
On long spinning rods having it balanced save a lot of fatigue on the wrist.
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Gobi King

Quote from: oc1 on February 14, 2020, 06:53:46 AM
-steve

In MI I am wearing thick gloves most of the time, I like a rod with a LONG forward grip (not sure of term), I hold my rod there and the balance factor is the main reason and I able to jig without getting sore.

I could not find 30 lb rated rods with long fore grip in my budget so I opted for 12w fly rods, I am going to try them out this season. This is for Lake Trout and Salmon/Steelhead from 7 lb to 30 lb ++,

I have never tried counter weights, it makes sense why we need to use em.
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan