Butt cap relevance in jigging.

Started by Glos, February 12, 2020, 08:48:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oc1

Quote from: CapeFish on February 14, 2020, 11:01:29 AM
Never heard of it, will check it out thanks, just not sure I want to add extra weight to rods, I prefer them as light as possible
I prefer them light too.  If you add counterweight the rod gets much heavier, but it feels lighter because you are not having to support the tip weight.
-steve

Glos

I have just been informed, yesterday, that in fishing show in Budapest, there were some minimalistic rods, with "resonant" end caps.
Not even lacquered, one foot guides and all..
I would go with wire guides also.
Luck is when good preparation meets opportunity.

steelfish

Quote from: oc1 on February 13, 2020, 04:54:48 AM
What else is there besides counterweight and something blunt that will not stab you in the gut?  If you have to swing the rod up and down all day the counterweight will keep it from wearing you out.  Without a balanced rod, all that tip weight has to be supported with the small muscles in your wrist and forearm.  If the rod is balanced you take the strain off the small muscles and only have to use the large muscles in the back and upper arm.  Large muscles will not fatigue as quickly.
-steve

on the few light rods with split rear grips when I feel them a bit un-balanced (tip heavy) I apply a second or 3rd coat of epoxy on the exposed blank on the split grip, maybe it might be easier to just add some kind of weight on the buttcap but the epoxy have worked for me.

totally agree with Steve

The Baja Guy

oc1

Sometimes you can wrap a piece of 1/16 inch sheet lead (roofing lead) around the blank and then put the butt grip on top of it.  Also, put a piece of lead dowel inside the end of the blank.

steelfish

Quote from: oc1 on April 29, 2021, 06:59:39 PM
Sometimes you can wrap a piece of 1/16 inch sheet lead (roofing lead) around the blank and then put the butt grip on top of it.  Also, put a piece of lead dowel inside the end of the blank.

for light rods an extra epoxy coat have worked good but for I also have some 1/8" lead core cord  used for Bullet-weights for add more weight on heavier rods that can be glued inside the end of the blank, still havent needed it, I try to search and put the reelseat on a place that it balanced the completed rod.
The Baja Guy

philaroman

Quote from: Gobi King on February 14, 2020, 02:17:27 PM

In MI I am wearing thick gloves most of the time, I like a rod with a LONG forward grip (not sure of term)...

long fore / short rear, is actually called a Michigan Handle on Crappie/Noodle/SSH rods
have 9' Wally Marshall like that...  pre-fab for separate $7.99 screw-in balance kit
aluminum bolt; center-bored beaker stopper; solder wire -- balanced & less noisy than kit  ;D
DEFINITELY less wrist fatigue w/ BOTH, tiny spinner & pitch/flip LP.
even though I added almost 2 oz. total combo weight

Glos

Quote from: steelfish on April 29, 2021, 07:13:48 PM
Quote from: oc1 on April 29, 2021, 06:59:39 PMSometimes you can wrap a piece of 1/16 inch sheet lead (roofing lead) around the blank and then put the butt grip on top of it.  Also, put a piece of lead dowel inside the end of the blank.

for light rods an extra epoxy coat have worked good but for I also have some 1/8" lead core cord  used for Bullet-weights for add more weight on heavier rods that can be glued inside the end of the blank, still havent needed it, I try to search and put the reelseat on a place that it balanced the completed rod.

I wouldn't put those in. They will dampen all vibrations.
Something that is integral part of the rod end, is needed.
Luck is when good preparation meets opportunity.

handi2

The spiral wrapped jigging I used to sell had a butt second to make the rod BALANCED not heavier. A big difference in the two

Small Adhesive backed lead weights to stick inside
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

handi2

Quote from: boon on February 13, 2020, 04:30:44 AMEeer, which vibrations?

I own a series of moderately high-end spin jig rods. The PE8 and PE6 ones have an aluminium gimbal butt, the PE4 has a rubber one, and the PE2 rods have no cap at all, just a small EVA knob on the end. I use a large EVA mushroom or a Cush-It, if I'm not using a light gimbal belt with the heavy rods.

I too used the big orange Cush it
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL