Penn 210 teardown and refresh

Started by Lingwendil, February 12, 2020, 03:36:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lingwendil

Now, we grease the pinion gear teeth.

Grab these two screws with the unthreaded portion on the shank, these are the ones that go through the pinion yoke. I smear a bit of grease into the threads on all the screws I install. Keep the other tow of this length that are fully threaded handy, as they fit in the other two bridge holes as well.

Here's our nice clean sideplate, with the screws in their proper holes for clarity.

Here's the eccentric and spring in position. I found it was much easier to work on the assembly with the spring not under tension, so this is just to show how it looks once installed. Make sure to oil the eccentric before installation.

Here are all the parts in proper orientation. Not pictured, but once the parts are together install the eccentric lever on the opposite side, and screw it down snug. Notice a mistake? I forgot to install the bearing and cap first :)

Apply grease to all sliding surfaces.

Set the bridge assembly in place, and use the screws for alignment. If you did it all correctly it should all drop right in fairly smoothly.

Here's the eccentric spring in it's relaxed, unsprung spot, grab plyers or a fine screwdriver and bring it over the post cast into the sideplate.

Like so.

Now smear some grease in the working bits, and work the lever a few times, adding grease as needed.

Slather all exposed metal with grease to prevent corrosion. Pop the side ring on.

Flip the assembly over, and realize that you done goofed  ;D

No worries, flip it over, pull off the bridge assembly, and the pinion gear. The bearing cap will slide right in. I pushed it down as far as it would seat with a clean toot pick.

There, much better :)

Now take the spool, oil the long shaft side, and test the fit.

It should slide into place easily, and not bind, although there will be a bit of rubbing on the edges until it's fully supported by the other sideplate assembly.

Fits nicely.

Now we oil the threads on the levelwind bit, and screw it in. finger tight is fine for now. Don't forget the spring. I also screw on the star drag wheel at this time.

There. All assembled on this side.

Continued in next post-
Levelwind Lunatic! Cheap Bastard!

Penn and Pflueger nutjob!

Eyes out for: Pflueger Rocket, vintage 4-1 ratio or better spinning reels (especially metal-bodied and ultralight!)

alantani

if i haven't sent a wrench yet, please send a pm with your address and i will get one into the mail.  great post.  thanks!!!!!  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Lingwendil

Alright, here we go with the other sideplate.

Grab the levelwind screw, and bearing/cap. Put some oil on the threads for each, and screw them in. Just put the bearing in enough to stay put for now, but don't screw it all the way in yet.

Installed.

Grab the click button, and put it in the side.

Set the click tongue in place (sorry for the blurryness)

slather it in grease, and pop the the circlip in place. Of note is that this area seems to be a very loose fit, and is a good place to check for later saltwater incursion, as there was obviously a lot of corrosion introduced in this area.

Place the levelwind gears in place, install the screw in the nylon gear pivot, and put some grease on the teeth. Spin the gears to ensure even coating of grease. Put a couple drops of oil on the pivot for each gear.

Slather the gears on the spool in grease to prevent corrosion, and ensure smooth clicker operation.

Install the clicker wishbone spring, and pop the side ring in place. Throw a few drops of oil in the bearing as well.

Here are the last remaining body screws. The two longest screws are for the handle side stand attachment screws, the two short screws are for the clicker side stand screws, the short screws are for the clicker side cross support bars, and the medium length are for the handle side cross support bars.

Put the two stand screws into the clicker side, just barely tight for now. I'm replacing this stand but will use it for aid in assembly for now.

Install the cross support bars loosely for now until we get it all lined up.

Lay out your levelwind bits-

And install the guide on the levelwind worm bar. Note the orientation of the flat in the end of the bar, this end must install into the gear on the clicker side.

Take a look in the pawl hole, and see that a slot is roughly centered-

Drop in the pawl, and let it sit just below flush.

Start the pawl cap by hand, and give the assembly a little wiggle as needed to ensure it is all seated as you screw it down. Then tighten with a screwdriver once fully seated.

Seat the worm sheild in this orientation, with the shorter side facing out and down-

Then drop in the spool and levelwind assembly-

Slowly lower the handle side assembly over the top, and line it all up carefully so that the worm sheild seats correctly. Arrange the levelwind guide so that is rides in the slotted bar correctly. At this time loosely install the screws in the other sideplate to hold it all together.

You should have a lot of play in the spool and levelwind at this time, this is what we want.

Continued in next post-

Eyes out for: Pflueger Rocket, vintage 4-1 ratio or better spinning reels (especially metal-bodied and ultralight!)

xjchad

Awesome pics and info Anthony, you're definitely skilled at this!
Can't wait to see what you catch with it!
Husband, Father, Fisherman

Lingwendil

Now I grab the donor 209 to swap the stand from-

A nice, clean 30-66 stand :) Not shown, but I swapped it in, and proceeded to tighten all the remaining screws little by little, in a criss cross fashion.

Now time for the handle. I waited for last as it's less cumbersome to work on without it. Set the handle in place, and ensure it fits snug without wobble. Add a drop of oil to the pivot pin.

install and tighten the large handle screw, and install the tiny handle retaining screw. Add a drop of oil to the handle knob port as well.

Now, go and set the levelwind and spool bearings to your preferred settings (I like a little bit of perceptible lash, but not a "clunk") oil the worm, and we are done!

I had a 10' Medium heavy Ol' Whiskers rod that I installed this reel on, and spooled it with 20# clear (will probably replace with solar collector next time) Berkley Trilene Big Game monofilament line. With this line and rod, a 3oz weight will cast pretty well, although I do need practice. :)

Lingwendil

Quote from: mike1010 on February 17, 2020, 03:24:00 PM
Nice reel and a nice job.

Thanks! This is a lovely reel indeed. Very fun project.

Quote from: alantani on February 17, 2020, 03:51:26 PM
if i haven't sent a wrench yet, please send a pm with your address and i will get one into the mail.  great post.  thanks!!!!!  alan

Thanks for the offer, PM sent :)

Quote from: xjchad on February 17, 2020, 04:48:31 PM
Awesome pics and info Anthony, you're definitely skilled at this!
Can't wait to see what you catch with it!

Thanks man! If all goes well, I want to try and hook into a big ray next weekend. The bite has been slow all over from what I hear from most bay area guys, but we'll see :)

festus

Great tutorial!  I've been looking for a 210, have a few 209 already.

Lingwendil

Grab one! It's like a ball bearing 209 with jigmaster gears. I really like this one, can't wait to put it to the test :)