should I part out a 300

Started by Christopher M Songer, February 12, 2020, 09:32:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher M Songer

Got this for free in a box of junk reels. It works but needs cleaned. I have no intention of spending a lot of time on this reel. A guy on a Mitchell FB page needs a handle and I could help him out with this one. I just hesitate to part out a good working reel. The bail even snaps back. I wish there was some obvious other problem and I would not flinch to part it out. I think I am just going to pass along the handle to the guy who needs one. What are your thoughts on keeping a working reel together verses parting it out?
Always go forward, never go straight

wailua boy

I would consider just sending the whole reel...

philaroman

handle only, is dirt-cheap to ship USPS 1st Class (marked "HAND SORT" !!! )
whole reel, packaged, might not make it under 13oz

Fullbail

Christopher,
I am not able to get a very good look at your reel.  If you could post a better pic of the front side and back side I could give you a more helpful answer.  The handle shown is not original to that particular reel but it would sell on eBay (just handle) for $5-$10.00 and possibly more.  That is a specially designed handle found on Mitchell 300C models.

If you could post the serial number stamped on the reel foot along with some good pics, I could help you determine the value of the reel by itself.

Kind Regards,
Bill

Christopher M Songer

Bill, thanks for any help. I read  A 585993

Always go forward, never go straight

happyhooker

There are plenty of non-operational reels for parts.  If one is complete & works, even if some parts are not original and even if the reel needs cleaning, etc., I would like to see the whole reel brought back to life.

Frank

Fullbail

Christopher M Songer,
Your reel dates to 1971 and would be a 7th version.  Going by what I can see in the pics I would be willing to bet your reel could go, at auction, for around $20.00 or maybe more, but there is the handle issue. You could replace the handle with a correct one and then sell the 300C handle separately.  Or you could sell your reel with the 300C handle and who knows what would happen, but that's all part of the auction game.  Spin the wheel and take your chances.
You might want to keep the reel, do you have a 7th version in your collection?
Kind Regards,
Bill  :)