Problem with Amabassadeur retreive

Started by rakulack, April 11, 2021, 03:34:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rakulack

Just got a 4600CA that is well used but have an intermittent problem with the retrieve.  When I press the spool release that works fine but when I turn the handle to reingage the spool there is a hesitation and a small clunk noise before it connects. It will sometimes turn twice around before engaging the worm gear shaft.  Then, once the shaft is engaged it works fine.  I am not real handy but would like it fixed for a reasonable price. Any suggestions on where I could send it for repair????                     Thank you very much.    Sent out a different.reel to someone before and payed shipping both ways and he couldn't fix because couldn't get parts.
Contact could be gmail with name of rakulack                 I live in Lewiston, MN

Swami805

There's a spring that gets worn and can loose tension sometimes. Many times stiff grease or crud is gumming up the works and just need cleaning. Open it and put a few drops of oil where the parts slide together and see if it loosens up. Pretty easy reel to work one, might give it a try and see who you do
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Gfish

Here's a picture of an 80's Ambassadeur Ultra Mag. The black lever and the chrome one(underneath the black one), work in conjunction with each other, through spring pressure as the Swami said, to move the pinion gear back down onto the spool(back in gear). I like the challenge, so it "only" took me bout 1/2 hr. of playing with it to figure it out, ha!
Complicated, huh? One or both of those levers ain't moving as they should, maybe.
There are some reel repair people in the bottom sub-forum on the home page.

The black lever is the one at the bottom(not the one at the top), if you can take off the side plate, leave everything else intact, you might be able to get it working. If you try it, line everything removed out in sequence,  then reverse your reassembly order.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Swami805

Here's a few pictures
At the point of the screwdriver in the first pic there's a bunch of nasty grease there. A few drops of oil to loosen it up may get it working again for the time being.
Take the side plate off the frame, then the handle nut handle and drag star. Stop there and don't let more parts slide off that shaft. Next back out the 2 screws holding the side plate to the bridge and open it up.  Put some oil in it where the screwdriver is pointing.  Button it back up being careful to keep the dog on the gear under the big gear where the screwdriver is pointing in the 2nd pic. Put the side plate back on, the the star handle and handle nut. Now you're done see if it works
Of course it could use a full service but in a pinch this might get you back fishing. If it doesn't work and you're not up to fixing yourself you can send it out
Pretty easy reel to work on, not a lot of parts
Do what you can with that you have where you are