3D Printer Parts

Started by jgp12000, February 13, 2020, 12:11:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

Quote from: jurelometer on February 14, 2020, 07:29:11 AM
I was supposed to do the laundry.   Designed and printed up some Penn 720/722 crosswind blocks instead.   Not a very difficult decision :)

Seems to work pretty well.

-J

Mystic was getting 20 bucks a pop out of those aftermarket 720 crosswind blocks...until they ran out. Might be a market for those. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

alantani

you guys are amazing.  this is all way past my pay grade!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

jurelometer

Quote from: mo65 on February 16, 2020, 12:51:09 AM
Quote from: jurelometer on February 14, 2020, 07:29:11 AM
I was supposed to do the laundry.   Designed and printed up some Penn 720/722 crosswind blocks instead.   Not a very difficult decision :)

Seems to work pretty well.

-J

Mystic was getting 20 bucks a pop out of those aftermarket 720 crosswind blocks...until they ran out. Might be a market for those. 8)

My price: zero bucks - free shipping and handling for Mo.   PM me your mailing address and I'll send you a couple if you like.  Stick one in a reel that you fish and report back on  how good they hold up.

-J

mo65

Quote from: jurelometer on February 16, 2020, 03:17:36 AM
My price: zero bucks - free shipping and handling for Mo.   PM me your mailing address and I'll send you a couple if you like.  Stick one in a reel that you fish and report back on  how good they hold up.

You betcha! PMing now. I can put one in my 720 and try one in my brother's 722...we'll be fishing both reels hard in about a month or so.

Dominick

Quote from: mo65 on February 16, 2020, 04:08:25 AM
Quote from: jurelometer on February 16, 2020, 03:17:36 AM

You betcha! PMing now. I can put one in my 720 and try one in my brother's 722...we'll be fishing both reels hard in about a month or so.

Go get em Moe.  Can't wait for your report.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

jurelometer

Made a new handle knob for the 720/722.  Same style as the original, but oversized a bit.   Made a drag knob a while ago.  So now all of the plastic parts on this reel are 3D printed.

I faked out the drag knob innards with a nut that I had lying around.  If I can get my hands on a broken drag knob, I can design a replacement that reuses the metal parts.  I think that there is an insert, a spring, and a nut inside.

Quote from: alantani on February 16, 2020, 01:22:08 AM
you guys are amazing.  this is all way past my pay grade!   ;D

I can design and print up a purdy cow tuna reel for you.  Already have some nice metalic gold filament :).  Suggest that you wear safety glasses when fishing it.  Maybe a full face shield :)

If you ever get the urge,  feel free to stop by for a beverage and a 3D design and printing demo.    The garage is a mess.   You will feel right at home   ;D ;D ;D

-J

Alto Mare

You did a great job with some of those round handles you sent me a while back, made from plastic.

I haven't had a chance to copy those yet, using acrylic acetate.

Here is a knob I did by hand about 5-6 years ago, using corian.
Love the green on black:
Oops be back, lost the pic

Here we go:

Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

jurelometer

Quote from: Alto Mare on February 23, 2020, 02:44:30 PM
You did a great job with some of those round handles you sent me a while back, made from plastic.

I haven't had a chance to copy those yet, using acrylic acetate.

Here is a knob I did by hand about 5-6 years ago, using corian.
Love the green on black:

Nice craftsmanship!  I wish I was that good with my hands.  The color is perfect.

I found that I really liked the stock 720 knob design from an ergonomic perspective.  Much nicer than a round knob, considering that this is a reel that will not be cranked under heavy load. Scaling up the width a bit to make the knob slightly oversized makes it even better.

Is the Corian smooth enough to use without a bushing?   I thought that it might be a bit abrasive.   One of the weaknessesof the 720 is that th knob screw/shaft is aluminum.  No problems from galvanic corrosion, but the shaft surface is subject to wear.  Or did you replace the screw?

I forgot about those big plastic spinner knobs that we worked on.   I was going to make one out of aluminum at some point.   Yet another unfinished project  :).

This is one of the nice things about computer design and 3D printing.   It is pretty fast to crank out and modify a set of prototypes in order to get the design just right.  The downside is that it too easy to move on to the next prototyping project and never finish anything.

I can send you a couple 3D printed oversized 720 knobs to play with if you are interested. You can see if you like the look and feel.   I  think that you could make a real beauty in this style with some of the materials that you use.

-J

Alto Mare

I agree with you Dave, a simple but beautiful design on that knob and very effective.
Yes Corian buffs to a mirror finish.... good stuff.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

happyhooker

That Corian knob looks special.

Frank

mo65

I got Jurelometer's crosswind block installed today. It was a perfect fit...slipped right into place. That aluminum block is one of the aftermarket blocks that Mystic sold out of. This reel gets fished pretty hard, as can be seen by that one season old grease, it was yellow.(Ardent Reel Butter) I'll report back later with results. Thanks for the opportunity Dave. 8)

xjchad

Looks great!

What material was it printed with?
Husband, Father, Fisherman

jurelometer

Quote from: mo65 on February 26, 2020, 08:46:51 PM
   I got Jurelometer's crosswind block installed today. It was a perfect fit...slipped right into place. That aluminum block is one of the aftermarket blocks that Mystic sold out of. This reel gets fished pretty hard, as can be seen by that one season old grease, it was yellow.(Ardent Reel Butter) I'll report back later with results. Thanks for the opportunity Dave. 8)

I am very curious to see how well they hold up.    It will be useful data either way!  Thanks for giving these a try.

Quote from: xjchad on February 26, 2020, 08:49:25 PM
Looks great!

What material was it printed with?

Straight PETG.  No fiber, as I was worried that fiber might be too abrasive on the pin. 

I have a whole cabinet full of different 3D plastics, but I pretty much stick to PETG for anything that requires strength.  Sometimes carbon filled PETG.   PLA gets used for mold masters or other parts that need to look pretty or get sanded down.    I plan to get a spool of ASA to play with for parts with lots of UV exposure.   Should be reasonably strong but is supposed to warp like ABS (blech).   Haven't seen any fiber filled ASA yet.

The methods/materials for making the strongest part usually has a tradeoff in the appearance department.  PETG ain't the prettiest- but I still like it a lot.

And here is another part ideally suited for 3D printing- a  handle  nut cap for some smaller Shimano saltwater conventionals- TLDs ad TRs (is that right?).

-J.

jurelometer

And a clamp for a Newell 220:

The sheared off bugle head screws were use to flare the brass tubing in the hook-holder.   Just squeezed it in the bench vice.

This was printed out out carbon-fiber filled PETG- but regular PETG might have been better.   It will hold up to light blows with a hammer, but if I stick it in a vice and give it a serious whack, it will break.  The carbon fibers make parts stiffer, but more brittle.

I was casting rod clamps out of urethane before - and I think the printed parts are not as tough.  I just need to play around with different products to find the right urethane  blend.   If I can  get my hands on a CNC router again, I think I will cut a few out of Delrin/acetal.

-J

Alto Mare

Always enjoy your posts, Dave.
I've seen your machining skills, those should come out very nice.

I want to mention there is a guy out of California that has been making clamps with a trigger,
I believe He sells those for $28 a piece and he claims they're very tough... not as bad price for a custom part.
Sorry, don't remember his name, he might be a member here...John Trung?... not sure.

Anyways, you never do anything for money, only to help out, so that doesn't really matter.

Sal