Couple little trips this weekend! Bluegill!

Started by Lingwendil, April 27, 2020, 02:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lingwendil

Managed to make it to the pier Friday night with my son after work, and caught a couple small bullhead catfish which we released. It was a nice warm night, beautiful sunset, and nice father-son time. I grew up fishing here with my father, so it's fun to come full circle like this. Not the first time we've been here, but the first night trip with the little one which is my favorite time to be here, and most piers in all honestly.

Saturday morning we went to the harbor while my uncle adjusted the throttle cable on his boat, and had some fun catching some nice tasty dinner. Some of the most gorgeous bluegill I've ever seen in full spawning coloration- these dudes were nearly half a pound each. Hit on size 12 hooks and live redworms.

Check out that color!

Soaked in milk with a couple lemons worth of fresh lemon juice for an hour, dipped in egg, then dredged in Jiffy corn muffin mix, salt, and szeged fish seasoning. Fried up nice, and were excellent. Even momma (who isn't big on most freshwater fish) said they were fantastic. It's been a very long time since I fried fish whole, and it really is the best way to do these sorts of fish.

Since we are so close to the water we try to get out as much as we can, and my son has such a good time.
Levelwind Lunatic! Cheap Bastard!

Penn and Pflueger nutjob!

Eyes out for: Pflueger Rocket, vintage 4-1 ratio or better spinning reels (especially metal-bodied and ultralight!)

Gfish

Cute kid with a nice smile!
Which pier is that one? One of my earliest fishing experiences was on the old Berkley Pier. I's probably about your son's age.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Swami805

Do what you can with that you have where you are

xjchad

Husband, Father, Fisherman

Ron Jones

Looks like fun. I love taking the girls out. I've tried all sorts of things to bread fish before, never thought about corn bread mix, I'll try it some time.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Crow

There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Newell Nut

It is great to see kids learning the outdoor sportsman skills. Cool pics.

Dwight

Lingwendil

Quote from: Gfish on April 27, 2020, 04:19:53 PM
Cute kid with a nice smile!
Which pier is that one? One of my earliest fishing experiences was on the old Berkley Pier. I's probably about your son's age.

Downtown Antioch at the foot of H street, right next to the Riverview Lodge restaurant :)

Eyes out for: Pflueger Rocket, vintage 4-1 ratio or better spinning reels (especially metal-bodied and ultralight!)

Aiala

I've never heard of Szeged fish rub... just ordered a 5oz container from Amazon, I will try it out on some of my YT filets.  :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

Lingwendil

Add a pinch of sugar to it and toss it on homemade steak fries too, good stuff :)

Also good for poultry, but great for white fleshed fish, potatoes, and I even put it on roasted vegetables too.

Benni3

It's doesn't get any better than that,,,,,,,,, ;D