Telescopic rods

Started by steelfish, February 15, 2020, 12:43:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveL

I just read some of the reviews on the Kastking site.  While I have had no issues, it appears that about one in 10 of the reviewers had rods break sometimes just from casting.  If you get one try it out during the return period and make sure it is not defective.  Don't know about kastking.com but amazon typically has a return window on these.

MakulePupule

Bought a chinesium 19' rod a few years back and was reasonably happy with it. Few months back, it shattered when I overloaded it casting a 2 ounce weight.  One rod cost $90 and an identical one sold a few months later sold for $20.  Don't know which one broke.  Bought another cheapo chinesium 16' as backup.

Would buy a good one if I could find one that's got the length and light weight, but haven't been able to find any other than the chinesium stuff.  Anyone got suggestions?

Jeri

The singular big drawback with telescopic rods is the inability to place guides around the fighting curve of the rod, especially the tip section being most vulnerable. Years ago my wife and I picked up some rods for our first every Tigerfish trip on the Zambezi, and she elected for the telescopic version of the Shimano range that suited the weight class we were using. I opted for the multi-section travel version. My 6 piece rod came home, her telescopic never made it past the first day. Both were rated equally, but just the ability to overload the tip caused the failure. Second trip, she opted for the multi-section. we still have both after 20 years of use.

Tiddlerbasher

I have a pair of the Shimano Exage STC rods, 50g and 100g. Excellent rods that go anywhere. The heavier BX 100gm is a real beast, great for big lures from the beach. The lighter AX model caught my first baramundi in Thailand - very dependable tough rods.

SteveL

Quote from: Jeri on February 27, 2021, 06:41:08 AM
The singular big drawback with telescopic rods is the inability to place guides around the fighting curve of the rod, especially the tip section being most vulnerable. Years ago my wife and I picked up some rods for our first every Tigerfish trip on the Zambezi, and she elected for the telescopic version of the Shimano range that suited the weight class we were using. I opted for the multi-section travel version. My 6 piece rod came home, her telescopic never made it past the first day. Both were rated equally, but just the ability to overload the tip caused the failure. Second trip, she opted for the multi-section. we still have both after 20 years of use.

That's the reason Kastking and some others use "floating" or sliding guides near the tip of the rod, with the rest of the guides being wrapped.  Not a perfect solution, but I suppose it helps.   I may have to try one of the multi-section rods.

Jeri

Quote from: Tiddlerbasher on February 27, 2021, 11:25:03 AM
I have a pair of the Shimano Exage STC rods, 50g and 100g. Excellent rods that go anywhere. The heavier BX 100gm is a real beast, great for big lures from the beach. The lighter AX model caught my first baramundi in Thailand - very dependable tough rods.

Quote from: SteveL on February 27, 2021, 01:52:25 PM
That's the reason Kastking and some others use "floating" or sliding guides near the tip of the rod, with the rest of the guides being wrapped.  Not a perfect solution, but I suppose it helps.   I may have to try one of the multi-section rods.

The Shimano Exage series of rods are exceptional blanks, unfortunately they do suffer slightly from poorer quality components and some design faults. Have their spin travel rods, and had to rebuild because of guide insert failures. Had their boat travel rods, and again inserts were an issue. Subsequently, when we moved to Africa and started our custom rod business, the Exage Surf became a frequent model inthe workshop for repairs on 2 guides of the 8 on lust about every rod we saw - just a spacing flaw, but very frequent occurrence.

Apart from that, the blanks are superb, just not available to the general public as a purchase item, though  the pricing of the rods is such that the costs of a rebuild with quality components makes them a very valued piece of fishing equipment. My little 6 piece, 9' spinning rod feels almost small enough to carry in my pocket, and has landed several Tigerfish over 20lbs.

Tiddlerbasher

Yup - same here Jeri - two guides on the AX I've replaced - inserts dropping out. But they are still the first rods to go in the suitcase :)

Riy2018

our local store selling Tsunami telescopic rods. did anyone tried them?
I have 5 different rods but they all less than 6 feet.

UKChris1

I have two that I bought years ago at the lowest price I could find - one is 9' the other a bit over10'. I used them as travel rods for fishing for tiddlers off breakwaters etc. when on foreign holidays and they have been great fun. One is a Shakespeare, the other I can't remember, Leeda perhaps. The action of one is terrible and the other a bit less bad but I am amazed they have lasted so long given the sea and sand they have endured! But, great in the suitcase for whiling away an hour or two and it wouldn't break my heart if I carelessly trod on one.

For 'proper' fishing on holiday, I would pick a multi-section travel rod designed and built for that job with good quality rings and reel seat and an action fitting the intended method and quarry.

Having said that, some of the telescopic rods I saw in tackle shops on mainland Europe were amazingly expensive and few anglers seem to use anything else when fishing the coast; certainly nothing like a UK beachcaster.

smnaguwa

I have a 14' Shimano Aperto Iso XT that I use for striped bass in the Sacramento river. I use a 60gm weight without problems. Got it while vacationing in Japan. Have you tried Japanese tackle websites?

Riy2018

one youtuber shows few telescopic rod from Japan. My only concern is to choose right model,
another is how to return if it doesnot work.
Daiwa also has new model

https://daiwa.us/collections/travel-packs/products/daiwa-travel-combo

philaroman

don't know if it's still true, but in general,
good Japanese is VERY expensive
Koreans come close for much less