Telescopic rods

Started by steelfish, February 15, 2020, 12:43:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiddlerbasher

These days virtually all top end fly rods are 4 piece - it doesn't affect the action like older spigoted rods. Absolute delight for travelling. A couple of years ago I had a blast fishing for barramundi and giant snakehead, in Thailand, with a 4 piece fly rod. The rod easily fits in a suitcase - no more extra checked in rod cases. I just wish they were allowed in carry on luggage (Not in the UK/Europe, same with reels and line >:().

Tile

That is why I like telescopic rods with wrapped guides. The reason is that the wrapping and the guide take the section out of round and prevent full lockup.This was true when I repaired my short bolognese rod which had 2 segments stuck and I got them unstuck very easy after removing the wrapping and guide.
In solid fiberglass we trust

Glos

I have just waxed joints on my rods. At the exit point, and then spin them back and forward all around.
Luck is when good preparation meets opportunity.

SteveL

I will try to post some photos later, but I have three of the Kastking Blackhawk II rods (two spinning and one casting).   The casting rod is a 7'6" MH Inshore model, and it feels like a real fishing rod.  A little thin on the tip but it is supposed to be solid glass and flexible.    I probably wouldn't want to tackle a 10 lb striper or red with this, but for smaller fish especially bass it seems fine.

Every now and then you might have to adjust the guides to keep them in line.  (mostly an issue with the floating guides near the tip,  not so much of an issue with the wrapped guides at the end of each section.)

wailua boy

I have this one, I'm guessing it's a 80's era Hawaiian Angler. I use it to catch bait occasionally.

Tiddlerbasher

Virtually all modern fly rods are 4 piece now. Some of the longer two handed salmon rods are even 5 or 6 piece.
I've been using Orvis rods for a number of years they just suite me better than most I've tried.
I did used to have a telescopic spin/fly rod - the handle could be turned round to accomadate a fly or spinning reel. I've no idea what happened to it :-\ But it was cheap and nasty.

thrasher

I was just thinking about buying one of these 20'er as a glorified cane pole for crappie fishing  https://www.grizzlyjig.com/p-196-shooting-star-telescopic-series-w-foam-handles.aspx

smnaguwa

Hi Thrasher, if you want to see how these rods work, try viewing Japan "ayu fishing" on the web. Amazing what the 20 ft rods can do.

philaroman

Quote from: thrasher on February 24, 2021, 01:43:07 PM
I was just thinking about buying one of these 20'er as a glorified cane pole for crappie fishing  https://www.grizzlyjig.com/p-196-shooting-star-telescopic-series-w-foam-handles.aspx

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

if you want real telescopic crappie fun, forget reels and seats and guides...  oh, my

spend way more than $15 & spend it mostly on blank -- i.e., proper modern fixed-line pole

thrasher

I have tried regular cane poles but keeping my line tight so the wind doesn't push my bobber under the pier or all over the place is a pain. I know I can twist line around the tip to adjust height but the silly reel makes it easier ;D I was skeptical of the whole telescopic thing but seeing how people have success with them I figured $25 was a small investment to give it a go.

Midway Tommy

It's a two piece telescoping, not a travel rod, but I built/adapted this sweetie a few ago & it works just fine. I use it a lot when I'm lazy fishing. I don't take things seriously with it, though, it's just plain fun to use. I've never lost a fish on it but if I did it wouldn't be the end of the world. There will always be another.  ;)
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

philaroman

Quote from: thrasher on February 24, 2021, 04:40:39 PM
I have tried regular cane poles but keeping my line tight so the wind doesn't push my bobber under the pier or all over the place is a pain. I know I can twist line around the tip to adjust height but the silly reel makes it easier ;D

[within reason] you can compensate for wind/chop by selecting correct float style
(and I do mean finesse "float" -- anything sold as "bobber" ain't likely to qualify)
not suggesting you actually buy the overpriced Japanese works of art & fancy Euro synthetics
I'd be more likely to hang those on Xmas trees, rather than chuck 'em into brush-piles
just research the purpose-specific float styles & DIY w/ cork, balsa, boo skewers, quills, etc.
I've spent minimal $$$ to upgrade my quills from Goose to Porcupine (also, excellent non-scratch picks)
...basically, meandering around THAT rabbit hole -- can see inside enough to learn / not payin' to de$$$cend  ;)

thrasher

I use Thill balsa pencil slip floats, I just called them bobbers. When you have 4-5 rods hanging on the rail of a pier trying not to get tangled or encroach on my neighbors rods I find having a reel to bring in slack or let out a little line is far easier. The main point I was trying to make is that I was hesitant to buy a telescopic rod but seeing how people do actually like to use them I may try one.

philaroman

got it...  a 20-30' fixed-line pole is definitely more of a "one rod-in-hand, from the bank" scenario

still, your float choice is good for price/availability/versatility & mediocre to poor for anything specific
even Thill has MUCH better options among packaged specialty floats, as opposed to Wally-bin, by-the-piece Thill
get a good assortment of smallest Center-Slider, Waggler, Shy-Bite, Mini Stealth, etc.
one or more of those styles will outperform the generic budget pencil, in EVERY situation
start a Float thread if you want me to really blather/pontificate -- 'nuff hijacking  :D

SteveL

I was mistaken on the spinning rods being BlackHawk II rods.  They are a prior version with wrapped guides except for a floating guide or two near the tip.   One is a 5'10" MH MF 8-17 lb line, 1/4 to 1/2 oz lure.   The other is 8'10 MH MF 12-27 lb line, 1/4 to 3/4 oz lure.  The casting rod is a BlackHawk II Inshore 7'6" MH Mod Fast 10-25lb line, 3/8 to 1 1/4 oz lure.

I went out in the yard and picked up 3 pounds of lead with each, and they definitely bent over, mostly towards the last 1/3, but had no trouble lifting the weight.  If  one is designed for 27 lb line, it should be designed for 9 lbs of drag.  Lifting weights like this is not typical of fishing, and each could have handled more lbs of drag bending less when fighting a fish.

I also did the same with a 6 ft one piece Shimano worm and jig spinning rod (M MF), and it lifted the same weights with a bit less curvature, and had better guide placement.

Still, the three Kastking telescopic rods feel like real rods (not the toys of yesterday's telescopic rods) and while they are not my favorite rods, they are passable.   Their key benefit is that they are portable and packable.