7'6" Raptor For Paul " Smols "

Started by Rivverrat, February 15, 2020, 08:13:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

7'6" Raptor for Paul S. "Smols"

Random pics from Paul's rod build.

Looked I dont have any full length pics of Paul's build. Hopefully he can post a pic showing full length.

Paul, requested a rod build that was not to busy but a rod with simple wraps, not overly done.

While this is a rail rod Paul will be using it for casting live bait etc. Turned out to be very lite for line class while loading & casting  very welll.

In my opinion noticeably better than comparable rods in this class.
The 7'6" Raptor may be the best all around stick for 60 line. It's a stick a father could hand down to their son or daughter.
Sorry for lack of pics. Hopefully Paul can help with this... Jeff

Rivverrat

All my rods after completion get a max or close to max load place on them. It test the blank & my work.

This pic shows rod lifting 25 lbs off of floor. There are rods made today with same line rating that are incapable of doing this.

Do all rods with same rating need this capability ?

No. However if ts a rail rod it better. Paul's rod still had more recoil left with 25 lbs. off the floor.

Fellas, for a rod fished at a 20 lb. drag level, making the long cast Paul's Raptor is capable of, with the increased drag that comes when more line is in water & less on the spool...

Your simply not stressing this rod with 60 line & have a good margin of cushion to crank drag past this level when fish are up close or need to be slowed down... Jeff

mo65

~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Donnyboat

Good post Jeff, nice rod, good pics, nice rod now, very interesting, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

MarkT

Looks great, I love those colors!  Great bend on that rod with 25#, yeah, looks perfect for 60#.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Swami805

Came out very nice, I'm sure he'll be pumped
Looks like you sand the finish between coats?  Is that to get better adhesion or to smooth it out?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

ReelFishingProblems

Love the rod and the nuggets of wisdom.
Thanks

steelfish

Quote from: Rivverrat on February 15, 2020, 08:13:20 PM
........but a rod with simple wraps.

so, amigo Jeff, are you going to post the rod with simple wraps or not?  >:( >:(

::) ::) j/k

beautiful work as always compadre, way beyong my paygrade.

The Baja Guy

Rivverrat

Quote from: Swami805 on February 16, 2020, 02:31:48 PM

....Looks like you sand the finish between coats?  Is that to get better adhesion or to smooth it out?

My marbling had some high spots also my nephew bumped my desk lite which covered the still wet epoxy with dust. I'd got behind dusting my work area.

I dont sand between coats as a practice. Like to apply other coats of finish the minute what's applied is no longer tacky.

There is no need to wait longer... Jeff

Smols

Sorry for the late reply. I am very excited about this rod Jeff built for me. I have it paired with a Makaira 15t that I hope to put to good use soon on some big bluefin. This Raptor came out beautifully, it is very light and more than strong enough to fish 60 lb line. The thread work is clean, sophisticated and looks great but is not gaudy or over-the-top flashy - which is exactly what I wanted. I would highly recommend Jeff if you are looking for a custom build. I will post some pictures later this week.

Thanks, Jeff - really looking forward to putting this rod to the test.

Smols

Rivverrat

Thank You !!  Cant wait to see some pics of fish boated with it ! ... Jeff