Calcutta 200B jerky drags

Started by Diesel, February 16, 2020, 04:13:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diesel

Could use some help. Just rebuilt my Shimano Calcutta 200B. Replaced bearings and drag washers. Used smooth drag carbonex drag washers to replaced the factory drag washers. I lightly greased the carbonex washers and lightly greased the surfaces that contact the drag washers before reassembling. Everything went back together without a hitch. Used Cal's light drag grease because I used this reel in very cold weather applications.

When testing the new drags after reassembling, they are jerky and not smooth. Need some ideas to help solve this issue. Any help is greatly appreciated!

alantani

crud.....

the 200b is about as simple as they come.  greased carbon fiber should be perfectly smooth.  braid that is slipping on the spool is a possibility, though slim.  a scraping sound would be a spool rubbing against the inside rings.  and lastly, a piece of junk that is randomly floating around inside somewhere, also a slim chance.  bottom line, it's going to have to come apart again. 

and then there have been those reels.  you pull it apart and put it back together 3-4 times, and for some reason that last time works.  and you've got no idea why.......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

akfish

Make sure the ears on the metal drag plates are seated correctly.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

nelz

Quote from: Diesel on February 16, 2020, 04:13:43 PMWhen testing the new drags after reassembling, they are jerky and not smooth. Need some ideas to help solve this issue.

If any other oil or grease manages to seep into the carbon/Cal's drag it will get jerky. Also, gotta make sure your fingers are free of other lubes before applying the Cal's onto the disks. You might have to soak the disks in something to remove all lubricants and then try again. Keep us posted.

oc1

Try winding on some heavy twine, button down the drag really tight and then pull the twine off.  When you loosen the drag it may be smoother than it was.
-steve