Calcutta 200B jerky carbon fiber drags

Started by Diesel, February 16, 2020, 04:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diesel

Could use some help. Just rebuilt my Shimano Calcutta 200B. Replaced bearings and drag washers. Used smooth drag carbonex drag washers to replaced the factory drag washers. I lightly greased the carbonex washers and lightly greased the surfaces that contact the drag washers before reassembling. Everything went back together without a hitch. Used Cal's light drag grease because I used this reel in very cold weather applications.

When testing the new drags after reassembling, they are jerky and not smooth. Need some ideas to help solve this issue. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Dominick

did you wipe off the Cal's before assembling the reel?  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

JRD

Are the drags jerky when you reel against resistance or pull line off the spool?  If it's when your pulling line off it's possible the AR sleeve was not seated in the top metal washer.  The ears on the sleeve are not engaged in the slots cut in the washer so it's skipping as the washer spins.  I've put those drags in 5 Calcuttas this week using Cals grease slathered on and they were butter smooth.  It's possible you got a defective washer so pull it apart again and look the main gear washer over reel good.