Cold water boating

Started by Gobi King, February 17, 2020, 01:46:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gobi King

Lee,

Thanks, yes, I have been looking at these, but I am kinda chunky and a large might be bit too snug and xl might be too long.

But, here is the key I was confused about they clarify it:

Mustang Survival flotation suits are designed to protect the wearer from foul weather, and use closed-cell foam to offer flotation and hypothermia protection in the event of water immersion. Tug-Tite technology and Velcro wrist and ankle closures improve fit and limit water flushing if immersed, SOLAS reflective tape enhances visibility and an inflatable head support pillow.

So this suit will be useful for full water immersion! yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah
Shibs - aka The Gobi King
Fichigan

Keta

They are not full immersion suits and you will get wet.  USIA makes a full immersion suit that are nice, and the owner is a friend of mine.

https://usia.com/pro-rafter-suit/
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Gfish

Nice. Either one of those options would be worth every penny, if you were to fall in under the wrong conditions just once.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

gstours

Do everything you can to prevent falling in the water......  if you're alone you're probably going to die.
  Take a capable friend and discuss your plan and equipment before putting your gear down.  Put down something for a slip proof flooring ahead of time.   Mats or carpeting  or nutshells in paint have more grip for boots than a vinyl  covered plywood. 
      I think the safety equipment has been covered.   Dry cold seems easier to deal with then wet cold conditions.   Keep safe.   Staying warm in your feet and hands is another topic.🧐
A heat source may keep you fishing longer.    Good luck.🍀

El Pescador

Gary!

HOW DO YOU DO in Gustavus, AK this am???

Every charter trip I've taken out of Half Moon Bay or SF, each time we are told the NUMBER 1 RULE of the day is ....

STAY INSIDE THE BOAT!!!!!

Sounds obvious until YOU ARE NOT...

Wayne
Never let the skinny guys make the sandwiches!!  NEVER!!!!

gstours

Ok, as long as you can stay interested I've got a good chance to say a couple more things.
  Firstly is a double statement......   Do everything first to make sure that you and your passenger doesn't go over board into Cold Water...    keeping warm on the boat will busy your mind and your thoughts may help your with improvements while fishing 🎣.
   Here's some statistics,   🐙.  Don't  scare be aware....  good luck.🍀

Gobi King

I have no intentions of taking a dip ;-)
I have taken enough cold showers in my life.

My fishing will be limited to 1 mile from shore max and 2 miles max from the coast guard station on Lake Michigan,

On the Detroit River I plan to stick around the mouth of the Detroit river around St Clairs (the red lines on the map).

I am going to get my AIS registered and get a proper antenna for it. The reason being that is a shipping lane and big azz 1000 ft er go up and down that alley a lot.
I need to test my new VHF radio for the boat with the antenna.

Immersion survival - I am guessing a wet suit is the best for this, I bought the flotation jacket and I need to find a neoprene pants.

Bottom - neoprene bottom with insulated ski pants on top
Top - Flotation jacket with thermal layers underneath

I have dual console full windshield and I can get out of the wind to take a break, the wind chill is a factor,  maybe I need to look into electric heated under clothing ;-)

Fichigan

Benni3

My dad brings a small portable heater this make a big difference,,,,,,,, ;D

Gobi King

Quote from: Benni3 on February 24, 2020, 04:18:43 AM
My dad brings a small portable heater this make a big difference,,,,,,,, ;D

I have a little buddy heater, I will put in bag next time. my fingers are the only part that gets cold and this year I will put in a hand warmer packet.

I received my mustang flotation jacket, and it is going back.

Cons:
1. Bulky, it has  solid, thick flotation material in the front that makes lowering my arms uncomfortable,
2. the wrist and waist has neoprene bands that are LOOSE, those won't do jack to prevent water from getting it.

I am a bit disappointed.

I am going to skip a float jacket and get thick neoprene long sleeve top and a bottom (separate) and wear and regular pdf on top of the winter layer

So here are the layers:

synthetic underclothing > Neoprene long sleeve top > fishing shirt with pockets for phone id > winter jacket (water shedding) > pdf which allow arm mobility (either auto inflating one or a regular sailing pdf)

the bold item, is my immersion layer, the same stuff they use for kiteboarding.

I see those guys surfing in 40F water all the time   :o

Fichigan

Benni3

Well one time I was fishing with my dad and was throwing the net,,,,,, :D and my dad accidently hit the trolling motor in full reverse,,,,,,, :o and i went over,,,,,  ??? And I had on waders,,,,, ::) but I remember what the game warden said to wrapped my arms around my knees,,,,, :-\ just the shock of 40% water,,,but a change of clothes and a little hearted and was good to go,,,,,,,, ;D

Dominick

Hey Gobi did you ever think about sitting in front of the fireplace with a bourbon and waiting for warm weather?   ::) Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Gobi King

Dominick, Yeah I could but that is the PRIME time for Detroit River walleye, everybody and their mother is on the river then, it is cold in MI 9 month of the year ;-)

Same for the big lake, even in peak summer the water never warms up and when it blow out to th west, the water temp drops to 38F sometimes on the surface

Benni, I bet that woke you up, I had my wader feet fail one in chest high water, and I could feel a pin hole and water shooting into the feet and after 20 mins I started shaking from the inside. I had to give fishing and my spot, I did not have a change of clothes and drove home in my undies :-) only to find out that my little honda fit did not produce much heat at the footwell area!

Fichigan

Cuttyhunker

Don't stand at the gunnel, pee in jar or a bailer, a lot of corpse's are recovered with open zippers.  When I was doing winter commercial in New England a real wool blanket was in the kit, the only thing that will keep you warm when it's wet.  Cold water sucks the body heat out 25 times faster than air, you won't have much time, have a plan. 
Doomed from childhood

David Hall

Water temperature: 32.5 to 40 degrees Time until exhaustion or unconsciousness: 15 to 30 minutes Expected time of survival in the water: 30 to 90 minutes

you definatley need a better plan, a flotation device is just making it easier to locate your corpse.

Rancanfish

I've said it before, from experience,  if you hit the cold water without a vest you will struggle to swim at all.  The shock takes your breath away and you feel like you are made of lead.  Scary.
I woke today and suddenly nothing happened.