Poseidon 500R 3-Speed reel

Started by steelfish, February 18, 2020, 02:30:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

a new friend just brought this reel, handle knob has bad bearings and the 3rd gear doesnt engage.
I havent had the time to open the reel yet and also Im having hard time to find the schematics of the reel, there is no much info about theses reels out there other than the selling ads in asia, australia and UK market.

have anyone any infor or experience on those Poseidon reels? for the few internal pics I've seen looks like they tried to clon Accurate Boss reels

did I mention it has 3 speed?
geeez, more parts to go bad on a perfect day.
The Baja Guy

Robert Janssen

Yes, have seen them for sale in the wild and in the flesh. Had a quick look, and dismissed it outright as an asian Accurate imitation, albeit with decent finish and a far higher price than other clones or knockoffs. The high price may well be due to that particular retailer setting whatever price he likes, however.

I just gotta say though, i have particular views regarding the design of drag levers. And what, what WHAT the F is that abomination??!

Very curious about the gears.

What are you waiting for? Get to work and take it apart immediately!

xjchad

I agree with you on that drag lever Robert, UGLY!

I just can't see the need for 3 gears on a fishing reel.
Husband, Father, Fisherman

jurelometer

Poseidon website is: http://www.psgroupfishing.com/   

But they didn't renew the domain name since Jan 11, so nothing there right now.  Maybe somebody forget to pay the Web host :)

They have an active Facebook page:https://www.facebook.com/Poseidon-Reel-101197980005210/

Maybe post your questions there.   

It is a Thai company.    So not sure if telephone is going to do you much good unless you speak Thai :)

There is a US seller that claims to do warranty repair, but only for the reels that he sells:  https://tacklenow.com/poseidon-reels/

Two year or five year warranty, depending on which page that you click.

There are some youtube assembly videos for the 300 model - looks like a circlip secures the left dragplate to the shaft.  Don't know how Accurate does it, but this seems kind of sketchy.   And the sideplate screws are tiny.  They look like M2s-  yikes!  Hopefully  the 500 has larger screws.

-J

Rivverrat

If the inside of that reel resembles the same conglomerated cluster clump of a mess as the outside I dont hold much hope. Alex I've never had one apart. A friend of a friend had two of them that had issues. Being very busy at the time I turned down working on them. Also I get turned off by obvious copies of respected companies reels.

Now with that said I'm as curious as any to see the innards of this reel... Jeff

steelfish

give me few days more guys, Im kind of busy with some rods and the owner of the reel told me that he wasnt in a rush so if it takes 3 or 6 weeks to check the reels it doesnt matter.
my plan is to open it up and check it out no later than the next week.
The Baja Guy

steelfish

yay!! I was sure I uploaded few pictures of the reel when I worked on it at that time, opps but seems that I completely forgot to update this thread, I will look for the pictures of the internal bits of the reel to update this thread just for future references
The Baja Guy

steelfish

Quote from: Robert Janssen on February 18, 2020, 08:46:48 PMHad a quick look, and dismissed it outright as an asian Accurate imitation,

Very curious about the gears.
What are you waiting for? Get to work and take it apart immediately!

sorry, I probably got swamped by my normal job and completely forgot about this reel update.

well, its pretty similar to an accurate, even the spool have the same kind of C-clips to attach the spool shaft to the sideplate.

now the 3-speed gears

it also have double drags, one on each side of the spool as the accurate reels

the clicker

this reel needed a new pinion bearing and both spool bearings, the 3rd (lowest) speed wasnt working but only needed a good cleaning job.
after installing some new bearings and the cleaning & lube service the reel was working as new.
The Baja Guy

Ron Jones

Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

steelfish

The Baja Guy