first Calcutta bamboo Gaff

Started by steelfish, February 18, 2020, 07:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steelfish

this is my first calcutta Bamboo Gaff, my last bamboo gaff was made outta some regular bamboo cane but since it was pretty short (1.8ft) it worked pretty good for the intended use and still going strong.
Now I have this guy that wanted a thinner diameter 3ft long bamboo gaff for use it on a kayak, so I have to order some good quality calcutta Bamboo cane for the job.

I have one of the best sincere recognition for my work with this Gaff.
this gaff was shipped to "Los Cabos, Baja Sur" (Dominick, you might see it someday) and the wife of this guy told him that, he better dont use that Gaff, that belongs to the wall of the living room, period !   :o :o ;D ;D

The Baja Guy

steelfish

few more
The Baja Guy

xjchad

Husband, Father, Fisherman

Newell Nut

Nicely done Alex. I like the colors too.

Dwight

steelfish

The Baja Guy

oc1

Beautiful Alex.  The Calcutta is easier to work with. isn't it?  Now that you have the source you should make a Calcutta rod.
-steve

Sharkb8

Sweet looking gaff nice work.

Kim

Tiddlerbasher

Donnyboat

Yes really nice Alex, thanks for posting, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Swami805

Nice looking gaff Alex, looks really strong too 
Do what you can with that you have where you are

steelfish

Quote from: Swami805 on February 19, 2020, 01:14:53 PM
Nice looking gaff Alex, looks really strong too 

thanks compadre Sheridan, it is strong, kind on the heavy side but still comfortable for a kayak use.
look at the thickness of the pole.
I currenlty have 3 more 5ft bamboo poles that have the walls 2x thicker than this one

The Baja Guy

Hardy Boy

Alex: looks great ! Are you wrapping cord under the shrink tube for the handle ? I just mad an aluminum gaff for a guy and wrapped the handle with cord but down the road I might do the shrink over top of the cord.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

steelfish

Quote from: Hardy Boy on February 19, 2020, 06:01:10 PM
Alex: looks great ! Are you wrapping cord under the shrink tube for the handle ?
Cheers:
Todd

thats right amigo.

I wrapped some cord with a spiral pattern spaced maybe 3/4" then the shrink tube, you can do that or wrap the cord on a X-wrap pattern but if the cord is too thick the point where the cord cross each other result on a too high peack and the shrink tube look too streched on that part.
if I want to go with a X pattern I use a cord with smaller diameter.
The Baja Guy

Darin Crofton

Great job on this killer gaff!!!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

Tiddlerbasher

For handles I use paracord - with the core removed - then shrink wrap. It still gives 'ridges' for grip - but doesn't stick out so much were the cord crosses. If I use a simple spriral cord, rather than cross wrapped, I leave the core in.