Stand up fighting belt choice

Started by knife, October 11, 2020, 11:26:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

knife

Hello,
I have to buy a new fighting belt and I'm unsure between black magic and grillox. any of you have experience with these products?
Thanks

conchydong

I vote for the Black Magic. Great set up.

Vintage Offshore Tackle

I second that.  That bulge on the back side of the Black Magic keeps the belt centered, even when you are having to move quickly around the boat. 

Cor

Also Black Magic.   I have used one very seldom but hear from those who do that its the only one to use.
Cornelis

Shark Hunter

I am the odd man out here. Aftco all the way.
Life is Good!

Cor

Quote from: Shark Hunter on October 12, 2020, 05:07:11 AM

That's precisely what we need here, "differing opinions" as long as it's not politics! :o
Cornelis

Shark Hunter

Aftco Clarion and Max Force Harness
Life is Good!

thorhammer

Mike put down a 12' Tiger with that rig, didn't he?

Benni3

Quote from: Shark Hunter on October 12, 2020, 05:07:11 AM

I was going to say aftco or jigging master,,,,,,,evike dosen't have them on sale anymore but jignpop does $99 if you go to YouTube and watch "jigging master"  with pony liu,,,,that's just fun to watch,,,,,,, :o

Shark Hunter

Quote from: thorhammer on October 12, 2020, 04:41:03 PM
Mike put down a 12' Tiger with that rig, didn't he?
He caught that Giant Tiger on a 16/0 and a Vintage Rod off Panama City Pier.
Modeling for GQ with my Everol 20/0 in that pic. ::)
Life is Good!

boon

Just a belt or full belt + harness setup?

Hard to go past the Black Magic Equalizer if you want a belt + harness setup. Get the Wide plate model... or if you have bent-butt rods, get the Twin Pin, which only comes in "wide" spec.

UKChris1

I've been through a selection of belts and butt pads over the years, from cheap Chinese ones, through Penn pads, Alutechnos and Aftco up to a big and expensive Braid aluminium jobbie, but none beats the Black Magic in my opinion.

I have the medium pad as I'm not so large and I have had big-eye tuna to 150lb and numerous blue marlin to over 600lb on it. I love the way the rod butt fits in a recess so it can't jump out of the socket to poke you in the belly button and that bulge behind the pad stops the belt sliding around the way every other belt does.

I haven't found it necessary to add the fitment for a bent butt and use it 'as is' for both straight and bent butts.

They are also very light and can be worn all day without trouble.

But, they are very expensive here in the UK for what is essentially a bit of webbing, a couple of clips, some foam, some stitching and a plastic moulding.

Chris