Packing Material(or a lack thereof)

Started by mo65, February 19, 2020, 09:02:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo65

I see a lot of conversation about poor packing, but this takes the cake! This photo is exactly what was in this eBay box when it arrived today. When I pulled it from the mailbox I heard it rattling around. I can't believe there is no damage. It's a good thing that a Penn reel is tough. :-\
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Maxed Out

Welcome to the world of eBay buying LOL.....this is not uncommon at all with unscrupulous eBay sellers

How bout a mint 10/0 & 12/0 from the 40's tossed together in that same box the same way.....one was protruding from the box when it arrived.  My heart sank the moment I saw the reel knob sticking out of the side of the box

Another when I purchased 4 unused full accurate converted reels from a guy in California. He stuck them in a pile in the box. 2 of the reels suffered noticeable damage. Nowadays I try to send seller message to package well to prevent shipping damage. It ain't that hard to do

Another time seller put reel in Penn box and then in shipping box with no packing materials. They clanged around like tennis shoes in a clothes dryer. Box was destroyed. When I submitted claim for refund, the seller accused me of tossing it across my front yard. It was buzzaro world on steroids. eBay could not decipher who was wrong or right, so no refund, but eBay did give me a gift certificate for the full amount. Seller got his well deserved negative feedback, only one I've ever given in 13 years and 3,000+ transactions
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Alto Mare

I have received a new penn reel in its box with tape all over, in the past...no wrapping.
The box was trash afterwards, but I didn't even bother arguing with the seller, from him doing such a thing l, I realized it was a no win situation for me.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Darin Crofton

Horrible! A couple weeks ago I was mailed a 9/0 in the plastic letter sized priority mailer, the squishy one. Amazing it didn't get bent at all. Some people don't have a clue! Glad your reel is ok buddy!
God, Family and Fishing, what else is there?

wfjord

I got a nice vintage English made Hardy Prince fly reel in the mail today that was placed in a plastic baggie and shipped loose in a 9.5" x 12.5" Priority Mail envelope, with a single small piece of thin bubble wrap laid over it.  I paid $165.00 for the reel and the seller insured it for the minimum $50.  A rather delicate thing and fortunately it was okay.  According to USPS tracking it was supposed to be delivered yesterday by 5:00pm, but didn't arrive until about six this evening.

Midway Tommy

I, too, have received a couple of reels shipped using their original box as the shipping box. Luckily, both times, the boxes had been wrapped in brown grocery bag paper and the boxes arrived unscathed.  :o Had the boxes been damaged at all I would have immediately asked for a refund and/or opened a claim. >:( I refuse to put up with that kind of bush league packing!  ::)

Mo, at least it didn't come in a padded envelope.   ::)   ;D
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Lunker Larry

Got this one. 6 reels packed in a twelve pack beer case with nothing inside but the reels. Just that paper thin cardboard - not even corrugated - . Three reels damaged.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

Dominick

That's criminal.  The shipper should be flogged.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

nelz

Quote from: Lunker Larry on February 22, 2020, 09:23:40 PMGot this one. 6 reels packed in a twelve pack beer case with nothing inside but the reels. Just that paper thin cardboard - not even corrugated - . Three reels damaged

Ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner! Wow, worse packing job ever.

Fullbail

Quote from: mo65 on February 19, 2020, 09:02:16 PM
  I see a lot of conversation about poor packing, but this takes the cake! This photo is exactly what was in this eBay box when it arrived today. When I pulled it from the mailbox I heard it rattling around. I can't believe there is no damage. It's a good thing that a Penn reel is tough. :-\
MO65,
Suggestion: Ever give your seller shipping instructions?  While I am paying for a new reel on eBay, using PayPal, I first select "Note To Seller". You will see this on the left hand side of the window where you pay, and where your summery is, under paid items.  Open the text box and type in your shipping instructions immediately when you pay.  If you don't leave any instructions, it's not the sellers fault if they don't know how to package something, or so they say.

I suggest you protect yourself, your valuable collectables and have piece of mind.  Don't make the mistake I did, at first, by assuming the seller knows how to pack a rare, valuable fishing reel. I have learned that to some sellers, its just an old piece of junk his/her father-in-law had, lying around in his basement and now that he's gone, she/he is trying to get rid of it, and make a couple bucks in the process.

Now days, I try and take the mindset, once the auction is finished, it is my problem what condition it arrives in.  
Of course, I am generalizing now, and I will admit that there are many very good sellers out there, who take time in packing items carefully, and use first rate materials.  Some, also take great pride in shipping your treasures safely.  But, you never really know what type of seller you will get in most cases, so I recommend to be prepared, and always include shipping instructions immediately after, or during paying for something.

How to package and ship a reel is the subject for another post so I will not address that here, but there are many ways that will help increase the odds of, having no damage to your reel.

Kind Regards,
Bill

nelz

There's not knowing and then there's not giving a crap. Oh, and there's idiot as well. (Are we allowed to say "crap" around here?)  ::)

Midway Tommy

Quote from: Fullbail on February 23, 2020, 10:38:35 PM

MO65,
Suggestion: Ever give your seller shipping instructions?  While I am paying for a new reel on eBay, using PayPal, I first select "Note To Seller". You will see this on the left hand side of the window where you pay, and where your summery is, under paid items.  Open the text box and type in your shipping instructions immediately when you pay.  If you don't leave any instructions, it's not the sellers fault if they don't know how to package something, or so they say.

Kind Regards,
Bill

Done that many times and it is almost always ignored. "Remove the handle?", heck they won't even fold it down I rubber band it.  :( "Remove mono on a plastic spool?" in the winter time.  ??? Rest your fingers and go talk to a fence post.  ::) You'll get just as good a response.   ;)

I'm not a baby sitter. It hasn't happened very many times, but I expect it to arrive in the same condition it is described and advertised. When they don't show up in that condition I immediately request an adjustment or refund. There will always be another in as good of condition, or sometimes, maybe even better.  :) 
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

Bill B

The wife ordered a 3 cans of olives from Walmart, at least one showed up.....
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Sharkb8

Just last week I received a penn 4/0wide and a 2/0 in the same box no wrapping this is the first time it has happen to me was not happy, I won't buy from that seller again. All the other reels I have received have been well packed so most people do the right thing. I should send them a message to pack items properly before they start getting bad reviews.

Kim

1badf350

This guy sent me this early Surfmaster without an ounce of packing. The result was predictable
-Chris

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
John Wayne as J.B. Books in "The Shootist"