Main Menu

3/0 Brute

Started by xjchad, February 20, 2020, 06:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xjchad

I started collecting parts for this project awhile ago when Sheridan gave me a set of 3/0 Accuplates.
They were rattle canned black and you could see where a previous owner had engraved his name and number on both sides.
Awhile later he gave me a set of Newell spacer bars that were the "Tuna Special" width.
At some point I bought a few crusty Senators from a guy on craigslist and one ended up being a 3/0 with the same width Newell Spool and stand.
Stainless gear sleeve.
Randy (JRD) sent me a star, gears, and stainless jack/eccentric.
I pulled the handle from a 49 I have on the back burner.

I finally had all the parts rounded up and some time while I waited for parts on another job, so I threw it together.

The plates got soaked in thinner and re-rattle canned with some semigloss black.  (Obviously I suck at spray painting)
I drilled the spacer bars and sprayed them as well.
The 4:1 steel gears house carbontex drags and ride on a fine thread stainless sleeve.
I made a custom stainless dog since I didn't have one of Lee's.
Everything went together with Cals Grease and Lucas Reel Oil.

It's not gonna win a beauty contest, but it should put some fish in the sand.
I love the strong, loud, obnoxious clicker!

I added a .010" stainless shim under the gear sleeve to reduce the end play in the handle.

I wanted to do something off the wall and different also.  I had a knurled knob from one of my Mag kits on my desk and it sparked an idea...

Not necessarily needed, but it looks cool to me  ;D

Here's the finished reel.  The Brute.

Husband, Father, Fisherman

Crow

Good idea for the "shift" lever !
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Swami805

Came out beastly Chad, glad they found a good home
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Maxed Out

Kinda threw me off for just a second. These accuplates look like they are 112h. Love the black stealth look !!
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

Ron Jones

I love my Tuna Special. The 3/0s are so easy to cast and this reel has the capacity for heavy line.
Have fun with it.
The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"