Why not Ocean City?

Started by oc1, February 23, 2020, 08:08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Nice reel and rod!
Lots of skills right there, I would love to gang with you for a day.
Thanks for sharing, Steve.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Crow

Another great project, Steve !!
There's nothing wrong with a few "F's" on your record....Food, Fun, Flowers, Fishing, Friends, and Fun....to name just a few !

Decker

Love watching you work, Steve!

sciaenops

Ok, I'll bite.  Inherited 2 (maybe 3) OC's - a 107, 993 and 1500/20 (??). I do mostly saltwater, so the last one is destined for the bookshelf or maybe for teaching the grandkids.

Thanks to you all, I dove into the 107 and 993 to get them cleaned up.

The 993 was no problem, just replaced the drag washers (only 2) with HT-100's & Cal's tan. (old on bottom; nu on top in pic)

The 107 was a bit messier - replaced the single thick drag and brass keyed washer sitting on top of the gear (middle pic) with 2 HT-100's and thinner keyed washers. Cleaned & kept the under gear washer. Got it back together, but at tighter star settings drag is slipping some and the retrieve binds. Could it be a spacing (3-stack maybe?) or washer/combo issue? It only has a single spring washer under the star where schematic shows another on top.  My bigger problem was no AR dog to be found (bottom pic). I tried some Penn replacements but their mounting holes are all too small for the bridge screw.  A dog without a tab on the butt end (for a JM?) looks like the most promising.

Suggestions?

sciaenops

below is a pic of the AR dog on the 993

oc1

Check how the dog meshes with the under-gear ratchet.
-steve

http://www.raingarden.us/snap/OCdog.jpg

Decker

Quote from: oc1 on April 02, 2020, 09:20:37 AM
This one is my favorite.  An OC 988.  It's about the same size as the St. Lucie above but has an anodized aluminum spool.

I have to make a confession...  When I saw this post, I immediately went looking for a 988.  Found one, made a best offer, and it is on its way.

Steve, I don't know if you answered this before, but your handle, "OC1," does it stand for Ocean City??  

sciaenops

Thanks Steve. Looking for a replacement dog for my 107 if anyone can point me right direction. These green anodized spoils are growing on me!

mo65

Quote from: Decker on April 09, 2020, 01:30:17 PM
Steve, I don't know if you answered this before, but your handle, "OC1," does it stand for Ocean City?? 

With Steve being a stickler for the details...I always figured it stood for "obsessive compulsive one".
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

Decker

oc1

Sciaenops, you can have the dog in the photo above if it will work.  I pulled it out of a bag of loose parts that came with a reel.  The spring (on the other side of the bridge plate) is buggered up but still works.  PM your address.

OC1 is slang for a one-man outrigger canoe because that's what I fish out of.  The user name sucks but I wouldn't know how to change it.

Joe, OC made red anodized spools too.

-steve

sciaenops

Appreciate that, Steve.  pm sent

the closest one I had was the 1/2" one in the pic, but mounting hole was just too small.

Keith

oc1

I'm going to send you the whole bridge with sleeve and gear.  The dog doesn't pivot on the bridge screw like in a Penn.  It pivots on its own post pressed into the bridge.
-steve

mo65

Quote from: oc1 on April 09, 2020, 08:46:01 PM
OC1 is slang for a one-man outrigger canoe because that's what I fish out of.  The user name sucks but I wouldn't know how to change it.

So thats what it means! I don't think it sucks...I'd leave it alone...it is easily identifiable. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

sciaenops

QuoteI'm going to send you the whole bridge with sleeve and gear.  The dog doesn't pivot on the bridge screw like in a Penn.  It pivots on its own post pressed into the bridge.

Cool, thnx, didn't see any evidence of a dog spring/post on backside of my bridge, but I'll give it a shot.