Why not Ocean City?

Started by oc1, February 23, 2020, 08:08:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gfish

Howzit?, Mapmaker. Never knew before that OC had the quick take apart feature on the head-plate. Got a late '30's Penn Silver Beach with that system. Love to see how the OC differs from the Penn design.
Excellent point Steve, gotta consider the small business aspect of members here.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

foakes

We are fortunate that someone with Mike's credentials and expertise would take this project on of cataloging and organizing this fascinating history of Ocean City Reels.

An author's work should be both credited and modestly rewarded.  As long as the work is still available for sale.  If it was no longer available -- that would be a different matter.

This is a work that obviously took thousands of hours of work, tremendous organization, plus experience and knowledge that a price cannot be put on.

The reason I mentioned this new book -- is because I felt that Mapmaker is the sincere type of person who would appreciate and benefit from this information that is only available in tiny bits and pieces in other places.

IMO, It is a matter of respect and honoring an author's hard work that is made available to us lowly "reel nerds".

I am certainly grateful for others work...

Mike's works are not going to put his kids through college, or pay off a mortgage -- but we need to realize how fortunate we are to be able to learn a little of what he knows and is willing to share.

300+ pages, 500+ photos, commentary, tremendous effort & results.

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

oldmanjoe

I have the 250 .    Mine  has a retainer clip for the take apart screw .   The difference between Oc and Penn locking lugs .
Oc is more pronounced , and penn mirrored the lugs .
Grandpa`s words of wisdom......Joey that thing between your shoulders is not a hat rack.....    use it.....
A mind is like a parachute, it only work`s  when it is open.......
The power of Observation   , It`s all about the Details ..
 Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.   Alto Mare

Mapmaker

Thank you everyone for the responses.

While researching my reel, I did find Mr. Cacioppo's book available through Whitefish Press prior to posting here.  This is the only OC reel in my possession, and I'm not in the market for others presently.  But, I do understand the conflict of morality of sharing something you learned from a book when you know the author, or at least have traded messages with him via a website.  I am not asking anyone to share info they believe is inappropriate to share. 

My own research continues, so I'll share what I learned today.

The 400 yard capacity "New" Ocean City doesn't appear in the 1930 catalogue.  The reel first appears in the 1931 catalogue as far as I can tell. The Bakelite on the '31 reels is supposed to be brown, and mine is black.

The Ocean City Manufacturing Company filed for a patent of their free spool technology May 2, 1932.  Their free spool technology had been in use for years at that point, which makes me wonder if filing the patent had to do with the founding of Penn that same year.  The patent was granted on April 25, 1933.

Since the patent wasn't filed until '32, I suppose the '31 and early '32 versions of this reel wouldn't mention patent pending, but that is a guess.  And since the patent was granted in '33, I would guess that the late '33 and '34 or later models might not include patent pending.  As a result, I'm guessing the reel was built in 1932 or 1933. 

Still lots of unanswered questions remain...

oc1

Quote from: Mapmaker on May 24, 2020, 01:52:40 AM
The 400 yard capacity "New" Ocean City doesn't appear in the 1930 catalogue.  The reel first appears in the 1931 catalogue as far as I can tell. The Bakelite on the '31 reels is supposed to be brown, and mine is black.

The Ocean City Manufacturing Company filed for a patent of their free spool technology May 2, 1932.  Their free spool technology had been in use for years at that point, which makes me wonder if filing the patent had to do with the founding of Penn that same year.  The patent was granted on April 25, 1933.

Since the patent wasn't filed until '32, I suppose the '31 and early '32 versions of this reel wouldn't mention patent pending, but that is a guess.  And since the patent was granted in '33, I would guess that the late '33 and '34 or later models might not include patent pending.  As a result, I'm guessing the reel was built in 1932 or 1933. 

Good job.  You don't need a book  ;)
-steve

DougK

something completely different..

got this little fly reel from a friend, no manufacturer's marks, no 'made in', no nuttin'
No drag mechanism or clicker, just a big spring on the main shaft, which provides a little tension to prevent free spooling.

Turns out the key is a tiny little manufacturer's mark, ID by Ron at fibreglassflyrodders, which marks it as Ocean City.

Ocean City Wanita Deluxe 305, to give it its full name. The 305 is a 60-yd reel, the 306 also available at 100-yd.
The original Wanita was made by Sturdibilt which merged into Ocean City, and sold for one dollar.. this one is most likely post-WWII, when the new Silent Drag was introduced.

It's a pretty little thing, going to clean it up and take to a high country Rockies stream to look for brook trout..