The New Newell

Started by Maxed Out, February 27, 2020, 07:49:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxed Out

Couple years back Sheridan sent me a Newell reel. I noticed it was very similar to jigmaster size, so I tried out a new 99 seat and it fits like a glove. My apologies to all the Newell purists out there, but in this instance, I believe it's a case of no harm, no foul !! Hopefully Sheridan doesn't hate me for what I've done to his reel.
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

xjchad

Husband, Father, Fisherman

Newell Nut

The old Newell graphite base is worrisome. I have not broken one but I have heard of them breaking. I lifted a 20 lb dumbbell with a 332 with a graphite base and no problem but I did not try it a second time. I like the P series aluminum bases as well as Tib frames.

You made a good choice.

Dwight

Swami805

Looks good Ted, definitely an upgrade over the graphite seat.  Could bars be far behind?
Do what you can with that you have where you are

Yogi_fish808

Looks great Ted! Definitely a very nice upgrade over the graphite bases and even the old aluminum bases that often times have screws break off in them. Those might have a place in the Hawaii market in 344 width, 2 3/4''.

Alto Mare

Just what those reels need and they look very nice as well.
Good job Ted! Newell's need it more than Penn, I would recommend you make a bunch in black for all Newell's, from the third generation and up.

Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

vilters

Quote from: Alto Mare on March 01, 2020, 12:17:35 PM
Just what those reels need and they look very nice as well.
Good job Ted! Newell's need it more than Penn, I would recommend you make a bunch in black for all Newell's, from the third generation and up.

Sal

that's what i'm talking about!! i have/seen more than a couple broken graphite newell bases. your stuff is top shelf Ted

Ron Jones

Don't like the graphite bases. I think you have found a new market for your seats! As I understand it, some of the graphite frame reels have desirable features not counting the graphite. I KNOW the graphite spools are great for casting. Looks like you have the answer.

The Man
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Maxed Out

It would be up to Tom whether to make seats other than the ones I have for sale. Like I already said, I know absolutely zilch about Newell reels, and with all due respect to Carl Newell,  you guys might be onto something
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!