Avets and Lingcod

Started by Hardy Boy, May 15, 2020, 03:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy Boy

The weather forecast was good for yesterday (crappy for the weekend go figure !) so I decided to take the day off and self isolate by myself in my boat. I also had to try out the sweet avet SX that I got from Gfish in a trade (thanks so much Greg) and of course I have the old standby JX 6 to 1. No love on the halibut but I manged my two lings at 22 lb and 20 lb (not huge but good eating size) and some nice black rockfish. The little SX handled the bigger ling just fine and its a great shallow jigging system with a light rod and a 5 oz jig. As you can see it was a terrible day on the water with that ever so slight ripple  ;D

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

ReelFishingProblems

Looks like great fishing and delicious food

Donnyboat

What a nice day, & nice fish two, thanks for showing us, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Gfish

Ooohhh! I'ma droolin Todd. The sea conditions, Lingers and Blackies, tasty lookin indeed. My favorite rockfish cause they school more so than other species, but are bigger than their cousin Blue's(also a serious schoolin and great tastin species).
I'm finding out that the Cardinal series is preferable to the S. Stratics I also use, because the drag system is protected inside the gear box. Each time I use a drag-in-the-spool spinners while yakin, I get water down in the washers, except those rare times when the conditions are like those in your first photo.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

the rockfish ninja

Nice report, great results and even greater conditions.
Looks like a bathtub out there.
Deadly Sebastes assassin.

David Hall

Good to see your making good use of your time.  That is some of the softest looking water ever, especially for your grounds.  Great looking fish.

I'm getting my hull polished and waxed, new upholstery and a custom full boat cover.  Can't fish so I'm taking the opportunity to get these things done on the boat.  Should be done within the next two weeks and hopefully the launches will be opened up then and I can get on the water.

Brewcrafter

Todd - That is awesome! - john

MarkT

MXJ?  The MXJ is one of my favorites!  I didn't like my SX so I traded it for a SXJ.  I like 'em narrow.
When I was your age Pluto was a planet!

Benni3

Looks like a fantastic trip great job my friend,,,,,,,, ;D

smnaguwa

Terrific! I like lings more than halibut. Where is that beautiful water?

Hardy Boy

That would be out of Port Hardy BC, Northern Vancouver Island.

Cheers:

Todd
Todd

alantani

hopefully we can visit at the end of july!!!!!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

mo65

That looks like some excellent eating! 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

gstours

Toddy boy,  I'm always dreaming of fish on a pond,👍. What is so special of the Jax Avet..  I usually rent from Avis?  😻.  I need a new reel.    Just wondering.?  🤞

scrinch

Todd, you found the perfect way to self-isolate! I hope you stayed 6 feet, er... 2 meters... away from those kings until you had them tasted.  ::)